What's new

Muhle v. Merkur Open-Comb Heads

I've read reviews that say the Muhle and Merkur OCs have the same head. Perhaps this applied only to the old R89(?). Is it still true? I'm particularly interested in the new Muhle R41 (as shown, with the knurled handle). Is there anyone who owns both this razor, and a Merkur OC who can compare the head characteristics and quality? Thanks.

proxy.php

The old open comb R89 was actually an Italian head made by Fatip. I have an R41 and id it s great shaver. I haven't owned any Merkur OC razors so I can't say for sure it they are the same. One thing I know is that the finish quality of the Mühle head is top notch.

Thanks. And another question: The Muhle handle looks rather thick, but the reviews say it's light. Is the handle hollow? If so, it is going to be subject to the same fractures that plague the Gillette Old? Or is it better made than that?

I have both razors, a Muhle R41 and a Merkur 1904, and they are identical except for the length of the 3 posts. The Muhle's posts are quite a bit longer.

These are the heads I am talking about.

The quality of the Muhle is far superior, the Merkur has some blemishes on the underside of the head, and what looks like minor manufacturing mistakes. IE the corners are not quite square, a small piece of what looks like a burr that should have been brushed off.

The Merkur still shaves fine, and now looking at them, I really see no need to keep them both.

I tried taking pictures but my camera won't let me get close enough.

You mean the Muhle is inferior don't you?

I had the Fatip made old R89. Shaved nice enough, had a nice balance for a hollow handle, sweet lines and not nearly the train-wreck all the negative reviews make it out to be... But the craftsmanship was of poor quality. Machining marks on the side of the head and mediocre plating were most apparent.

I had the R41, sold it after 5 shaves. I knew very early I'd never get comfortable with it. Too light, too slippy in the handle, and not a good shave. It's a pretty razor, but the knurling is more show than of practical use.

Just replaced it with a HD open comb and this suits me better. The geometry looks and feels the same, in that both razors need a shallower angle than my regular HD. I have no problem with the finish of any Merkurs I've had, in comparison. In fact the R41 had machine burrs on the baseplate, where the Merkur is excellent all over.

But I prefer the weight, balance and grip of the open HD to the R41. It gives me a better shave, and I don't think it's to do with any diffs in geometry, I put it down to balance and weight.

Last edited:
You mean the Muhle is inferior don't you?

I had the Fatip made old R89. Shaved nice enough, had a nice balance for a hollow handle, sweet lines and not nearly the train-wreck all the negative reviews make it out to be... But the craftsmanship was of poor quality. Machining marks on the side of the head and mediocre plating were most apparent.

No, it's the Merkur that is inferior. The Muhle is spotless.

I have the old Mühle R89 and the new R41 (and a Merkur 25C). The old Mühle is indeed Italian (Fatip) and not as well made as the new R41 but the plating is still better than on my Merkurs. The new R41 is superior in quality compared to the other two razors.

The R41 head is identical to the Merkur OC head but with a better fit and finish. No problems with grip either but the 'knurling' is light and not machined like usual.

I'm down to just a Muhle R41 and an EJ 89L. I had a Merkur 12C, but it was too heavy and the finish does not compare to the Muhle or EJ. The EJ is the best balanced razor I have ever used, but it's a closed comb, and I have a little more trouble with nicks and weepers. The R41 is very light, and takes some getting used to, but it's easy to use. The best results I've had have been with the R41.

I think I've settled on the R41. It just means I'll have to sell off more of my den here to acquire it.

:001_unsur

Don't give up just yet.

According to thesuperiorshave.com, the Muhle R41 weighs 58 g. and the Merkur 15C weighs 51 g. If the heads are so similar, that difference must be in the handle. Granted, neither is the HD, but for comparison this might be useful.

You might be judging too soon; the R41 is on of the nicest shavers currently made in my book. The handle is light yes, but also a quality part.

It may be light but it is still a fantastic shaver and the finish quality is unmatched.

You gents are not helping!!

The finish on Mühle and EJ razors is far superior to Merkur razors. The R41 head may come from the same place as the Merkur o/c's but it feels like the Merkur heads are the ones that didn't pass Mühle's quality standards.

I weighed the Mühle R41 handle by itself and it tips the scales at 22.6 grams.

I also weighed the EJDE89L handle by itself, it weighs in at 45.3 grams.

The R41 head on the Jagger handle has nice balance and feels great in the hand.

I will shave with it tomorrow.

Last edited:
Top Bottom