What's new

Shaving Kit from Lignum Vitae

I am a recent convert to the world of wet shaving. I currently have a Parker 91R, Feather blades, use a Williams Mug soap, an old coffee cup and a boar brush. This set up still gives me a best shave of my life. I have decided I would like to share/introduce this experience with some friends of mine. Soooo....

I am in the process of making shaving kit gift sets from lignum vitae (one the hardest and densest species of wood in the world). Each kit will contain a Parker 91R with LV handle, 20mm pure badger brush with LV handle, soap mug/bowl, lather bowl and a brush/razor/bowl stand. The kits will be Christmas gifts this year.

What would be your ideal handle size/style for the razor and brush?
How big should the soap and lather bowls be?

Here is a picture of the typical grain pattern in Lignum Vitae.
proxy.php

As a reward for responses, I will post build along pictures as well as the final product.

Thanks,

WB

Most of my handles are metal or stone so I am at a loss as to what to suggest other than to suggest that you take a look at Cooncatbobs and Rudy Veys designs.
I have a razor handle like the one from Rudy Vey and like the heft and feel of it.
It's considerably heavier and longer than my metal handled ones, and I like that.

https://sites.google.com/site/bobsrazorworks/

http://www.ultimatependesigns.com/Shaving.html

Re bowls, I don't own a wooden one. I have the ceramic that came with the MWF. I recall a thread here about a soap merchant that also sold wooden bowls with your initials on them.
I liked that idea but don't own one.

I think your custom gift packs are a great idea.

Good luck

Edited to include this link:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=171527

Last edited:
Please post some pics of your finished work.
Is no better wood bar none that is better suited for shaving implimants, is used extensivly for underwater bearing applications to this day.
Lignum Vitae (Guaiacom officinale,not vera wood) is amazing material, one of the few woods so dense it will not float in water, one of the heavyest woods known is 40% oil by wgt.A joy to machine, some brush examples below.
proxy.php

Welcome to B&B! Be sure to check in at the Shave Clinic & Newbie Check in!

Do you have any pictures of other projects you've done in LV? How do you plan on sealing the brush handle and lather bowl?

Maybe a good suggestion would be to check out some popular styles in the Review section?

I think this would be a great idea! The review section is quite extensive. Also, you could check out the Shave Wiki for information on other manufacturers that you might check out for possible ideas. This is a very neat idea for gifts. The personal touch always makes things much better. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
You might consider working with another manufacturer's razor head. Parker doesn't exactly get a lot of love around here for their build quality. People would probably go nuts over these with Edwin Jagger heads. Even Merkur heads would be an upgrade, I think.

I look forward to seeing what you're capable of producing! I think Lignum Vitae is a beautiful wood. It's probably in my top five favorite species.

I'm not that familiar with Parker razors, but I would suggest you follow the lines of the original handle. The LV will no doubt be heavier, but that's a good thing.

As for the brush, a 20mm knot would call for a smaller handle. I think a Stubby handle would work best, around 30mm height, and around 25mm diameter.

For the soap bowls, copy the dimensions of a well-known soap maker like C&E or any of the 3Ts. For lathering, a big scuttle like the DB 1.5 would make a nice model. And make sure they stack together, to save space on the countertop.

Any plans to include a brush/razor stand as well? If not, You should!

A

ahdlm

I know it's been three months since this was posted, but having worked with lignum vitae before and with the two most common substitutes for it, that picture looks more like Verawood (bulnesia arborea) often sold as "argentine lignum vitae." what's interesting about that wood is that exposure to light will make it change color to a nice forrest green. I think I can even see the colored flecks in the picture you posted.

I think it would make a great brush handle or even a set of razor scales.

I am trying to settle on a brush handle design to turn and have made a few shapes in modeling clay. I then chill in the refrigerator and trace the shape, list basic measurements, then see if I like it after it is hardened by cold.

I haven't settled on a shape yet. Getting there. My lathe chuck arrived today, so I can get to work if I want to.

Phil

Top Bottom