What's new

Before, During or After Shower?

Before, During or After Shower. When do you shave?

• Before Shower

• During Shower

• After Shower

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I always shave after my shower, no matter the time of day. Most weekdays that's in the morning. On weekends it depends on my social activities. I used to shave before, but I now agree with the premise that a beard is easier to shave after being moisturized in the shower. I haven't tired during, but I think that would be too much trouble with a brush, bowl and razor and multiple passes. It would also be waste of water. I think part of the enjoyment of shaving is just taking your time at the sink.:thumbup:

I'm going to chime in here in support of shaving in the shower. I find that my beard and skin remain prepped and hydrated throughout the shave, giving me better glide. Whenever I shave after the shower (my second choice) I still get good results, but the shave itself isn't quite as comfortable....it feels drier to me.

After.

I find that, in addition to the obvious steam prep, I get better results using a PSO for the post-shower shave. There are times on my days off when I will shower early in the day and not shave until the evening. A wet cloth will prep my beard well and I can skip the PSO. If I skip it in the morning, I don't get as smooth a shave.

Just tried to shave before my shower and it was a disaster. Feel like my face just went through a meat grinder. I was hoping to save a few gallons of water, but it wasn't worth it. Back to shaving during my shower.

Have shaved in shower since around 1993. Biggest improvement in my shave routine, ever. I do use a plastic disposable though. Tried a DE (several actually) and never could get the hang of it. I do have a Schick adj. injector I'm going to try again.

Beerman

I shave after the shower, but i dont wash my face in the shower. it gets wet, but not soapy or scrubbed. I also try to avoid drying my face off as i step out of the shower.

I think the pre shave soap w/hot towel does all the cleaning i really need. I dont want to wash my face too much and dry it out. --- i guess it doesnt really matter - just a personal preference.

Always after a shower. The few times I have shaved without taking a shower first have been horrible shaves.

I prefer directly after a shower so my face is clean and prepped. I think I get the best shave then. I have occasionally waited, but thought it resulted in a less enjoyable shave.

Always during, nothing compares to it for me.
Face is wet, beard is soft and the razor seems to glide effortlessly going ATG.
As well as that you can fully rinse the lather off with clean warm water from the shower, so you don't have to worry about missing any.

I'm not sure why but in the shower is the only way I can get a proper BBS shave with hardly any touchup, the razor seems to take all the hairs off properly nomatter what direction they're growing.
If I was to shave in the bath, after a bath/shower, or just a normal sink shave, then I'd miss a load of hair and the razor tugs 100x more then if I was shaving during the shower, any ideas?

I was thinking it could be the prep but when I'm shaving in the bath, I normally lay down with my beard area soaking in the hot water for about 20 mins then lather and shave and it's still a lot worse than showering and shaving.:confused1

I was thinking it could be the prep but when I'm shaving in the bath, I normally lay down with my beard area soaking in the hot water for about 20 mins then lather and shave and it's still a lot worse than showering and shaving.

I think my skin responds to a very thorough rinse with water before I apply aftershave. That's why shaving in the the shower works best for me. Rinsing my face over the sink leaves too much soap or cream residue.

Don't know why, but that's the way it started in the military and I have stuck with it. Have never shaved in the shower- seems like too much work to pack my gear in/out. Have shaved afterward, usually if I forgot to shave beforehand. My two-cents worth...

OK, this one has gotten me to thinking ....
When I was a youngster, I shaved in the morning before I headed off to school (using, by the way, the same Fat Boy I use now). When I was in college, I shaved when it was necessary using a disposable blade straight that my dad gave me. When I was assimilated by the multi-blade marketing monster, I shaved in the shower. Now that I am old (59), I enjoy taking my time with a post-shower shave before I head off to work. The ritual does me good!

Top Bottom