What's new

Soap vs Cream. Why one over the other? Your opinions please...

I'm just starting to use soaps because they last much longer and I generally find them more fun (maybe I'm turning into a snob). I like Pre de Provence a lot. They are a little more work, but it is nice to grab for a bowl with a puck in the morning.

Neither is really better than the other. Those who choose to only use one are keeping themselves from trying other great products. A good cream will be just as slick as a soap and a good soap will have just as much cushion as a cream. A good product is a good product.

neither is really better than the other. Those who choose to only use one are keeping themselves from trying other great products. A good cream will be just as slick as a soap and a good soap will have just as much cushion as a cream. A good product is a good product.

+1

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Used to use only creams in a bowl, but then somehow early this year, I started face lathering and now I am soap freak (preferably tallow based soaps). But, I still have a few specialty creams, I use from time to time, like the C. Salter Vetiver, Domenico Caraceni or CF Lavender. And not to forget, a tube of TOBS Mr Taylor for traveling.

Still use proraso (in the tub) sometimes but other than that I just like soaps better. I face lather and use a straight most days and tallow soap seems to work best for me.

As most have said above, it's all a matter of personal preference. Although I use soap more than cream, I like both and use both.

This thread has actually taught me something about myself: I actually use soaps more than creams because they are more fun for me--the amount of time it takes to load the brush and form lather on my face is something I just enjoy doing every morning. Lathering cream in a bowl and slathering the lather on my face is fun but does not last as long. (I face lather soaps; I cannot get as good a lather from creams without the bowl.)

Used to use only creams in a bowl, but then somehow early this year, I started face lathering and now I am soap freak (preferably tallow based soaps). But, I still have a few specialty creams, I use from time to time, like the C. Salter Vetiver, Domenico Caraceni or CF Lavender. And not to forget, a tube of TOBS Mr Taylor for traveling.

+1

Though the creams I keep around are T&H 1805, TOBS Avocado, and Proraso. I am tempted to pick up a AOS Sandalwood cream after smelling my brothers. I DO NOT like sandalwood, or at least I thought I did not until I smelled this stuff, its a slice of heaven.

I love this thread - I posted the exact same question when I first started DE shaving. I realize now that both are a pleasure to use. Cream and soaps peform equally good for me .

Like some of the other guys, I originally used only creams, because they were easier to lather. Now, I enjoy making lather from soaps, it's part of the fun. Also, they cost less, last longer, and give me better glide.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
It's a preference only!

Both work great. I prefer soaps but that's me.

I use both and enjoy them equally. I think it's a mood thing and I grab what I want right before shaving.

When traveling, I use creams of a stick.

I use both as well. Like MWF, VDH, and some of the new Shave Den soap. I'm a huge Proraso cream fan. Love the smell, rich lather, glide, ease of use, and slight menthol.

Experiment with both. I've got soaps and creams I haven't even opened yet, but I keep trying it all! That's half the fun. :thumbup:

There are advantages to both and they're both perfectly legitimate options. For me, prefer creams as they are easy to portion out and I find it a little easier to generate good, consistent lather. However, both are fine in my book and I regularly use both forms.

I have and use both about equally. I definitely have a preference for tallow though, so if something doesn't have it I usually apply some Arko to my face to get a superlather.

A good soap and a good cream will both give a good shave. I use both and generally pick a product based on it's scent on any given day.

I have both but have found myself to be a soap guy. I prefer them over creams. Although when I'm in the mood to bowl lather, I'll use a cream. And the C.O. Bigelow is great stuff. And the KMF is also good. But I'm currently using Muhle Seabuckthorn shave soap. With a boar. Lathers great and if I do my part it shaves great.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Neither is really better than the other. Those who choose to only use one are keeping themselves from trying other great products. A good cream will be just as slick as a soap and a good soap will have just as much cushion as a cream. A good product is a good product.

+1,000,000:thumbup:

Top Bottom