What's new

Puma Disaster!

I was just finishing up bringing my first restore to a nice mirror polish then I was going to clean up the scales with Novus 1,2,3 and hone it. Its a Puma #91, the same as i have seeen in another thread here recently. I purchased it on ebay.

When i got it the blade was in good condition with some very light pitting near the toe and dark water staining that wouldn't come out with MAAS. So i decided to restore to a nice mirror polish and clean up the scales.

I was sanding it down with 3200 micromesh and the toe broke off!

i guess this answer the questions if you can sand too much!!!! THE answer is YESSSSS

Are you sure that colour change is staining and not a loss of temper? Might explain why it broke with hand sanding...

in the photo the color change is just the fingerprints on the blade and the reflection of the flash on my camera. the picture isn't very good i know...

Legion

Staff member
Doh! Been there, I feel your pain.

Cut it down to a shorty. This is what I made from the Bengall that I broke.
proxy.php

It actually is now a fun little shaver that I wouldn't get rid of. Don't throw yours out, it can still be saved!

Well… don’t blame yourself too much…

You mentioned the “very light pitting” at the point… could have been corroded through and weaken the steel… wouldn’t take much to snap it off.

Look at it this way: it's a barber notch for the 21st Century.

Actually, for me, a mirror polish is way overrated....

Legion

Staff member
I just bought this DD which

"is in pretty good shape for as old as it is.
Condition: Good/Very Good (Please See Images)"

:lol: Maybe I can see a small flaw that they haven't noticed.

No matter, it is to become a shorty! I'll post picks when it's done.

proxy.php

Well, I picked a brand new Puma from Ebay that had been sitting in a display case since the 80s. I honed her up today and just gave her a test shave. Very nice shave and a very good looking razor too, its also really nice to be the first one to shave with it. The bittersweet aspect of the story is that I have spent far too much on Ebay in the past couple months; not only on razors but on watches and other things and I'm planning a trip abroad so I have decided to let go of some of my beloved razors and the Puma will be one of the ones to go... :(

Top Bottom