What's new

Replating

I'm thinking about having a couple or razors replated but don't know the first thing about how to proceed. Does anyone have any recommendations about folks who do this? How much (ballpark figure) would it likely cost to replate a three-piece? A one piece TTO? Would I need to do any prep work to the razors? Any information at all would be helpful. Thanks.

I asked about this in the last few weeks and was told cooncatbob, ontonoman, buddydog, or Reliable Electroplating in Massachussetts. Cost seems to be in the $35-$45 range. Some said they don't to TTO, some only do Nickel not gold. Send them PMs or email Reliable for quotes and details.

I also emailed some local places in my area, the one that replied said they didn't do restorations and recommended a place in Ohio.

Some people have also mentioned local jewlers doing simple gold replates for as cheap as $12 on a three piece razor.

I'm thinking about having a couple or razors replated but don't know the first thing about how to proceed. Does anyone have any recommendations about folks who do this? How much (ballpark figure) would it likely cost to replate a three-piece? A one piece TTO? Would I need to do any prep work to the razors? Any information at all would be helpful. Thanks.

Do you have a phone book?
Look up plating and metal finishing and if you find a place that looks promising (this is important) go there in person and bring your razors, do not call.
If you call and ask if they can replate your razors they're going to blow you off, but if you go there in person with your razors your much more likely to get them interested in your project.

Checked with the nearest place that would do gold plating....wanted 150 depending on how good or bad. The search continues....

I had a really nasty NEW replated by buddydog for $35. Highly recomend his work.

proxy.php

I just spoke with Dale from Reliable Electroplating. They can do any razor, in nickel, gold, silver, or rhodium for $25-45 plus return shipping, in 1-2 weeks. Very nice indeed.

I just spoke with Dale from Reliable Electroplating. They can do any razor, in nickel, gold, silver, or rhodium for $25-45 plus return shipping, in 1-2 weeks. Very nice indeed.

Just got off the phone with him as well. I'm looking forward to getting 3 or 4 beaters off ebay and sending them his way.

Apparently the razor that appeals to me the most has no knock off and hasn't been produced in 40 years...

I do skeev using someone else's razor though. Hopefully a new plate will make me feel like its sterile.

Just got off the phone with him as well. I'm looking forward to getting 3 or 4 beaters off ebay and sending them his way.

Apparently the razor that appeals to me the most has no knock off and hasn't been produced in 40 years...

I do skeev using someone else's razor though. Hopefully a new plate will make me feel like its sterile.

And what is that razor?

I wouldn't worry about it, just clean it well and disinfect it with some scrubbing bubbles. The blade is what does the work and it will be new of course.

Top Bottom