What's new

Streaming Radio?!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I have to admit, during the day, at work, I'm a bit of a radio junkie. I love listening to the radio, not for what they have to say, more for the music. Having a bit of background noise always help me work.

I thought I'd share as I use Screamer on a regular basis during the day. That little freeware allows me to get anything (Pretty much, any type of music in any language...)...

Unfortunately, the links don't always work so I have to find another station very often.

Sometimes, some radio stations don't offer a direct link that will be streaming music. Those are bit more annoying to use as you need to use the website's player...

I like those:
  • In Montreal, CHOM FM 97.7
  • From Newfoundland, OZ FM (This one can be confusing considering I'm in Oz...
  • In Melbourne, Classic Rock (previously known as Vega 91.5)

I tried a few stations in Sweden(Rocket FM, SR P3 Rockster) today and one in Netherlands(Radio Waddenzee). It's quite interesting what you can listen to sometimes. I mostly listen to 70s/80s/90s music. Mostly 90s...

What about you, what's your favourite radio station?

If I'm not listening to either music, audiobooks, or lectures from my own library, I'm either listening to NPR in the car or Pandora or Slacker on my phone/computer. Very rarely do I listen to normal radio, because there are so many ads.

Living with capped broadband I'm always wary about live streaming. Do the internet radio stations hog broadband?

We now have a local all blues radio station in Ottawa -Dawg fm. first blues station in Canada. On the net I will play 107.7 The lake from Buffalo, very much like a mid 70's FM radio station with DJs that pick their own music.

oh, man - CHOM! I listened to that in the '70s when I was at college in Plattsburgh NY... ("Every little bird sings... CHOM-CHOM!")

and now - I am a KCRW Eclectic 24 junkie... (Eclectic24)

Last edited:
Living with capped broadband I'm always wary about live streaming. Do the internet radio stations hog broadband?

It depends on the Internet Radio site/stream... whether it streams at 32kbps, 64kbps, 128kbps, or more. Most streams are of the 128kbps variety.

I don't think there is a standard benchmark as to what bandwidth does "normal" internet browsing consumes, but let's just say if you choose a 64kbps stream, it consumes bandwidth at about 7 kilobytes per second, which is equivalent to 420 kilobytes per minute, which is equivalent to about 25 megabytes per hour.

As for hogging. It can depending on the bitrate. The higher it is the more it uses. Talk radio is lower than say than most music stations

Last edited:
If you were to listening to the radio at 64kbps for 8 hours per day * 20 days a month, you've used 4.6 Gigabytes against your cap. If you did the same with a 192kbps stream, you're up to 14GB per month.

Average residential bandwidth caps around my neck of the woods range from about 60GB to 200GB per month, so at home listening to Internet radio is of no real concern. Listening to Internet radio at my workplace, however, is strictly verboten.

Luc

Staff member
I listen to it at work :devil:

I pretty much listen to podcasts on Stitcher or Listen on my Droid, which is streaming, or at least the former is, or Audible.com books on my Droid, which is not streaming or podcasts on ITunes, which isn't, I suppose. Not sure that counts.

I hate that I do not listen to much music anymore, but I don't. Pandora and last.fm annoy the crap out of me. If I ruled the world, my Gram Parsons station would frigging play "Gram Parsons," not some other artist someone thinks I will like.

I actually play You Tube on my Droid or laptop for music, often without watching the video. At least you get to pick the songs you want to hear!

Luc

Staff member
I use Pandora, but from what I've been told its not available outside the US.

That's right, unfortunately. I used to like Yahoo radio but I'm getting some limitations in Australia.

I don't mind the advertisement, specially if they're in a language I don't understand, it's like a new song! :laugh:

Hi everyone

I am listening chom 97.7 on my way to work and Champ 101 Burlington mhttp://champrocks.com/ in front of my computer at home.
Marc

I listen to a lot of ... http://ckua.com/
Both streaming and on air (since I live within range of one of it's boradcast towers)

If you don't like it the first time, come back in a bit, they have a wide variety of programs, so like the weather here, in an hour it may be totally different.

I'm a Talk Radio junkie, so I get my daily dose of CoasttoCoastAM from various stations, currently using www.WCBM.com out of Baltimore. Not only do I get to hear local news from way back home, they also put out a darn good audio signal, much better than the other stations I used to listen to out of Toronto, Niagara Falls, and Orlando.

Top Bottom