What's new

Your favorite vintage safety razor...

I have a modest but diverse collection of vintage Gillette razors. The only ones that gave me a close shave were the Slim and Fat Boy adjustables set at "9", until I bought a Gillette "New" model open comb. For me this razor shaves on par with my Merkur Slant and Futur, and is now my favorite vintage. Wanting to try an open comb, I decided on the "New" after reading in the posts that the Gillette "Old Style" and the Merkur Open Comb were overly mild shavers due to the narrow blade gap. Anyway, I was interested in reading what you other vintage users considered as your favorites. Thanks.

Gillette NEW and New Improved (both open-comb). I realize that's two, but they both shave about the same. The NEWs are easier to find. There are several NOS ones on the auction site right now. These are my daily shavers. I like the ones with the diamond pattern grips on the handles, and the Tuckaways. Coming next would be the NDC Superspeed. Would like to try a Rocket, but the bids go up like a . . . :frown:

Norm :boat:

My favorite vintage safety razor is my Gillette "New Improved". Never a nick, never a patch of stubble too difficult for it, and hefty in your hand... like my Dad's old hand-pushed lawnmower.

You guys are trying to give me worse RAD than I already have. :cursing:

I've been tempted for a while to get a "New" but so far haven't done so.

I have '65 Slim Adjustable that really does a great job and I will be trying out my (new to me) no date code Super Speed tonight. From reading the various threads, I expecting to get a great shave from it.

My favorite vintage safety razor is my Gillette "New Standard". Never a nick, never a patch of stubble too difficult for it, and hefty in your hand... like my Dad's old hand-pushed lawnmower.

Very nice! I have one of those in gold on the way! :thumbup:
Those razors were advertised to have triple plating. I bought a cruddy looking silver Tuckaway ($7.50 shipped) that polished into one of my best-looking razors! Pretty durable for something manufactured in 1921! :tongue:

Norm :boat:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
40's SS...sweet little shaver.

Where have I heard that before? :confused:

Okay, here it is: This is a gentle razor that still manages to give a close comfortable shave with minimal irritation. A true classic! It is a NEW Gillette, but I don't know which model. Anyone have an idea? It has a serial # 109701. I don't know why there isn't a letter after the number, as usual. Anybody know?

I'm going to be the oddball here and say I really prefer the Gillette Senator. I have taken a strong liking to it lately. It is like an open comb superspeed:drool:. Wonderful shaver, but for some reason never talked about on the forums.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I'm going to be the oddball here and say I really prefer the Gillette Senator. I have taken a strong liking to it lately. It is like an open comb superspeed:drool:. Wonderful shaver, but for some reason never talked about on the forums.

I just SOLD a Senator AND a Sheraton to a B&B board member..Never shaved with the Sheraton but about 6 times with the SENATOR and I hated to let it go...you are correct..it is scarce on the forums and on the Bay..

I just SOLD a Senator AND a Sheraton to a B&B board member..Never shaved with the Sheraton but about 6 times with the SENATOR and I hated to let it go...you are correct..it is scarce on the forums and on the Bay..

I lucked into picking a mint senator up w/ the box. It needed some polishing but it is flawless:001_smile . I thought it was going to be a terrible shaver, but for once, I was happy to be completely wrong!

I can't say I have heard of the Sheraton. Is it just a gold Senator?

Okay, here it is: This is a gentle razor that still manages to give a close comfortable shave with minimal irritation. A true classic! It is a NEW Gillette, but I don't know which model. Anyone have an idea? It has a serial # 109701. I don't know why there isn't a letter after the number, as usual. Anybody know?

Norman, that's a beautiful razor. I believe it's the "NEW IMPROVED" model, which came out after the "OLD STYLE" but before the "NEW" (Gillette wasn't very original in naming these razors). JB, that is a beautiful razor also.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Oddly enough the Fatboy is such a sought after razor, but yet is not amongst those named as a favorite. I really enjoy the '56 Gillette SS red-tip.

Oddly enough the Fat boy is such a sought after razor, but yet is not amongst those named as a favorite. I really enjoy the '56 Gillette SS red-tip.

Your right good selection with the red tip love my 55, But with the Fat Boy it was mentioned but I know myself and I think a lot of others would not give theirs up.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Your right good selection with the red tip love my 55, But with the Fat Boy it was mentioned but I know myself and I think a lot of others would not give theirs up.
count me amongst those that would not give mine up, but not my favorite.

Top Bottom