What's new

Peeling nonstick coating - worth keeping?

I just moved down to Arizona and won't be able to get my real cookware (old Calphalon Pro, no coating) out of storage until the spring.

While visiting junk stores, I picked up an old Circulon pot and pan for about $5. They were dirty and when I cleaned them, I noticed that the nonstick coating is missing in small areas in both.

Are these still safe to use? Is there a way to add more coating to them?

No huge loss if they're not safe to cook in. I can still use them for hobby stuff or fill them up with dry cat food.

Also, any suggestions for cheap but decent pots and pans for the next six months or so?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I would throw it out. The risk of having some nonstick material ending in the food is there so I wouldn't take a chance... You could peel what's left and use it but then, if your plan was to use a nonstick pan, it doesn't work...

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
My experience is that once the non-stick is coming off the pan is not actually working too well as a non-stick, even where the coating exists.

Mostly fry pan manufacturers have the art down pat. I can't tell you, however, how many times I've seen a good Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year, Easter dinner, ruined due to some fancy nonstick roasting pan letting loose its coating on the first or second use.

Mike

I'd junk it too. I don't like the idea of my innards filling up with fragments of non-stick surfaces.

You could always hit a place like Target and get one of those out-of-the-box cookware sets. Or, why not get one or two good quality things that would compliment what you already have? Then you can just work it into the rest of your collection when it arrives

And not to mention the simple fact that no one really knows what they non stick material does when in the human body is enough for me to toss it out.

Thats why I use a cast iron pans

I agree with those that say you should trash the pan if its peeling ... even if it's a brand new, intact, non-stick pan, it's not the best thing to cook with.

If there's an IKEA near you, they have some excellent bargains in cookware. Check out their 365+ series of pots and pans, especially the 7-piece set for just $39.95. The 365+ series extends to cover silverware, dishes, storage pieces, etc. All great pieces at low prices, and they will last you many, many, years.

If Ikea isn't a convenient option, look for a restaurant supply store. You'll find these everywhere, but it may take some research. Ask a local diner where they get their kitchen equipment. The supply store will probably be in a dingy little hole-in-the-wall outlet, but you will find no-nonsense, professional grade gear at rock-bottom prices.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
And not to mention the simple fact that no one really knows what they non stick material does when in the human body is enough for me to toss it out.

*cough*carcinogens*cough* :blink:

Chuck it out.

No doubt Wal*Mart has some cheap-o metal pots&pans for sale.

*cough*carcinogens*cough* :blink:

Chuck it out.

+1

My daughter bought an inexpensive set (they also make more expensive sets) of Bialetti pots and pans when her house closing was delayed and her good set was in storage. She said that they were much better than she expected.

Dump it along with any other nonstick cookware you have. Instead of using nonstick, purchase yourself a cast iron skillet. After seasoning it, it will be nonstick.

Dump it along with any other nonstick cookware you have. Instead of using nonstick, purchase yourself a cast iron skillet. After seasoning it, it will be nonstick.
This.

Teflon is not allowed in my kitchen. If it's not safe, it doesn't belong anywhere near items intended to be consumed.

This.

Teflon is not allowed in my kitchen. If it's not safe, it doesn't belong anywhere near items intended to be consumed.

same here. Cast iron pans are awesome once properly seasoned and work way better than the nonstick ones

Dump it, buy another cheap new one, when you see a scratch, throw it, and buy another one!
Agree. If you just have to have the stuff, inexpensive is the way to go. Toss the pan after one year and buy another.

I prefer All Clad Stainless, myself; never had an issue with any type of food sticking.

After about 19 years I got tired of "non stick" and went all cast iron. Not as light but way better than the best "non stick" I ever had. Most "non stick" started sticking after a couple years. And I used to think me Dad was nuts with his seasoned cast iron...:blush:

Jay

Cast Iron is much healthier, not only are you avoiding toxic chemicals, but you're getting added iron to your diet, AND a workout from wielding them!

Top Bottom