What's new

I Now Know Why AOS Guys Love Their ASB

Good evening gents. Along with a very nice bowl of sandalwood shave soap, I grabbed a travel size lavender ASB from AOS this week. I have never really used AOS a/s products before. I always see glowing reports about the scent, efficacy, etc. However, being of the mind that truly A+ excellent aftershaves are the real holy grail of wet shaving, I was always hesitant to pay up for the ASB on the off chance I would like it.

I am not a cheapskate either. I am more than willing to pay for niche products of great quality at the drop of a hat. Just ask my poor wife. Still, after three quarters of a decade fiddling with said products I have learned to cast a jaundiced eye toward any of them till they prove themselves. And I do mean prove themselves. As in Musgo Classic a/s splash proof. Like the Grail knights, most have fallen far short of the goal. To be honest, aftershaves in general are the most overpriced item we buy. I know, I know. People complain about the $45 price of AOS shave soap in a bowl. Expensive? Assuredly. Yet consider the facts.

If you used the soap every day it would last between six and nine months I am sure. And it is a best in class product. I wonder if the same would be true of this A/S balm? How about the really pricey splashes like Penhaligon's or Floris? Think you could use them every day for nearly a year without running way short? I am sure I could not. And I can assure you, they do not even approach the best aftershave treatments, let alone equal them. So again, I say premium lathers abound and are easily obtained. Premium a/s products are scarce and quite expensive.

So where does all this pontificating leave us? I am not really sure. I have only used two tiny dots of this product today. At lunch and again just a short while ago. I will have to see how it performs after a shave but what made this stand out for me is the lack of my normal hatred of "white lotion" products. Most a/s balms are over-oily crap. There, I said it. I have used quite a number of them and most have left me anything but overwhelmed by their efficacy. Most are too heavy in emollients and just lay on your face and shine. Yuck. Some act like they absorb but the moment you perspire they are right there on the surface, begging to be wiped off a bit. This one acted the way it should immediately. It sank right in and did not leave that nagging feeling it was just hiding till it made its ugly return. And the lavender scent. AOS uses EO's in this and it shows up in spades. Just wonderful, herbaceous, slightly minty lavender. This would make a splendid addition to shave with Castle Forbes lavender. And yes, I am sharp enough to realise a good number of uses will be needed before making a solid decision about it. But I can tell you that as the title of this posting makes clear, I understand now why its fans like it.

Regards, Todd

I am happy to report that after that dissertation, the committee has decided to award you your Aftershave PhD.:laugh:

I'm glad you found something you like. :thumbup1:

I am happy to report that after that dissertation, the committee has decided to award you your Aftershave PhD.:laugh:

I'm glad you found something you like. :thumbup1:

Well doggone it king, I did say I was pontificating.:001_smile Of course I have to put it through its paces and I suspect it will be strictly a cold weather item for me. Still, you can tell quality when you use it. This has it. And btw, I accept the offer of Aftershave Phd. Someone has to take it...don't they?

Regards, Todd

Well Mike, you will be happy to know the D.R. Harris Eau de Portugal hair lotion arrived this very day. The smell is incredible. If you like EdPs, you will love this one. It is sharper than the Pinaud and even more so the Pashana versions. I never thought I would smell a EdP hair lotion better than Pinaud but I have now. It has more bitter orange in it and I like it a LOT. I cannot wait to use it tomorrow morning. I suspect it will be a keeper.

Regards, Todd

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Well Mike, you will be happy to know the D.R. Harris Eau de Portugal hair lotion arrived this very day. The smell is incredible. If you like EdPs, you will love this one. It is sharper than the Pinaud and even more so the Pashana versions. I never thought I would smell a EdP hair lotion better than Pinaud but I have now. It has more bitter orange in it and I like it a LOT. I cannot wait to use it tomorrow morning. I suspect it will be a keeper.

Regards, Todd

The SICK thing is....... I want ALL the DR Harris aftershaves AND Hair Tonics!!!

This was the first real ASB I owned. It was a bit too thick for me though as I have slightly oily skin. Castle Forbes is more of my speed especially in the winter months. I tried to apply less and still came away with a greasy feeling. I do love the feel of the bottle though:)

AoS has an after shave gel that you might like, it's less greasy and is in the same bottle... :001_smile

AoS Sandalwood is my #1 ASB. Or AS in general for that matter. Just love the stuff.

I'm yet to try the gel though.

I have their entire lineup with backups. Preshave oil, cream, soap, after balm, AND cologne. Lots of compliments on the cologne even hours after it's been on.

I love their ASB's as well. They work work well and a little goes a long way. Which of their colognes do you like? I believe they have two: the lemon and the sandalwood. I tried the sandalwood in the store, but I like L'Occitane's Bavx so much and it is in the same family so I opted not to get it.

Have you tried the Hydrolast after shave conditioner(s)?

Really, reallllllly good. Not oily at all, super moisturizing, etc..

Top Bottom