What's new

Blade Bank

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Would someone be kind enough to show me the link or explain how to make a blade bank. My wife wants a safer way of disposing blades than wrapping them in newspaper and throwing them in the trash.

Thanks
Scott

Some use a smallish tin can, punch a slit in the top, pour out the contents, rinse it out I am sure, then use that. I personally use a small glass jar with a lit which I take off to put the old blade in. Not sure what I am going to do when the jar gets full! Some say take it for recycling.

I have an old beer can in my medicine cabinet that I put my blades in. When it is near full , I will put it in the recycling container.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I have an old beer can in my medicine cabinet that I put my blades in. When it is near full , I will put it in the recycling container.

MMMM a beer can. I don't drink much beer.....how about an empty Scotch bottle. :laugh:

I buy from West Coast. When I place a new order I will have to get one. In the mean time keep the ideas coming.

Thanks

There's your excuse for having to order something. You can't just place an order for $1, so you have to pick up some supplies while you're at it :001_smile

I buy from West Coast. When I place a new order I will have to get one. In the mean time keep the ideas coming.

Thanks

I don't know what blades you use, but lots of blade containers have slots on the bottom to dispose of used blades. I've seen them on Derby and Feather containers.

Your blade bank can be the container the blade came out of once it is empty. And those containers with a used blade slot can hold a lot more than just the blades that came with it. Just cram them in.

empty prescription bill bottle. It's free, and holds about 50 blades. I just throw it way when I'm done.

empty prescription bill bottle. It's free, and holds about 50 blades. I just throw it way when I'm done.

I use a large safety capped pill bottle which is big enough to fit them flat in the bottom and stack up so the diameter is actually larger than a blade length. (From Medco, big pharmacy fulfillment center).

It's a solid white bottle, but I put a strip at the top and bottom using electrical tape and used a sharpie for a warning...

Joe.

I saw a post on here I think about using a can of beef broth and punching a slit in the top and then using the can. This is the idea that I used I even painted the can. Ah "How To Make A Blade Bank For Under 50 Cents..." by Thirdeye

Last edited:
I use a large red sharps container. There is no way any in my houselhold is getting the blades out except for cutting the container open... plus it looks like it will last for a ridiciously long time. there might be room for a couple hundred blades in this thing and it was ~2 at costco.

Sharps containers are biohazards and must be disposed of through a facility that will handle them. They can't go in the household trash. I highly discourage their use just for disposing of razor blades.

Sharps containers are biohazards and must be disposed of through a facility that will handle them. They can't go in the household trash. I highly discourage their use just for disposing of razor blades.

It seemed a good idea when i bought it and it was relatively cheap, no labor necessary and voluminous.

other members please heed the sage advice of _JP_ . It will probably save you more grief than having a sharps container may be worth.

Just as an FYI, while I am not up on the biohazard sharp inherent nature of sharps containers, I did do a search of my state laws on sharps container/ biohazard disposal, but i believe in VA there is no regulation on disposal.

I thought it would be a good way to bring attention to the potentially dangerous blade waste to my family, especially my small children, rather than have them accidentally play with a small re-purposed food can or toy-like case. Which by the way it did, as my 5 year old immediately saw it when going through my stuff and asked what it was and understood just by the color and bio-hazard symbols that it looked dangerous.

This is just my experience and again probably _JP_'s advice is better than mine in this arena, as I have 0 background in biomedical waste and disposal.

I use a tea tin:

proxy.php

Top Bottom