What's new

Lather-rich knot, lather-poor tips

Been doing a lot of face lathering lately, and I keep running into one problem with a couple of my brushes. I get a lot of lather forming and oozing around the knot (and dripping down the handle), but very little at the tips. And the tips is where I want it:001_rolle
Is there some way to correct this?

My guess is that you are using too much water. I face lather almost exclusively and find that it is much better to start with just a damp brush and add water as needed. This process yields enough lather for three to four passes. The brush and soap will also have a bearing on your situation as well.

Enjoy your shaves,

Doug

Less water and more product, your lather should have self supporting peaks,never, never runny.

There's a lot of water retained in the bottom of the knot, i've found, if while face lathering, a quick "pump" against the face & soap (if i haven't shaken it dry before loading) will work wonders for adding more water to my heavily loaded brush.

I wouldn't call it runny, as it's rich and thick, and takes time to slowly ooze out around the knot as I lather. Nonetheless, I'll try less water and see how it goes. And perhaps a quick pump as Rivguy suggested. Thank you, gentlemen.

The only way I get around it by squeezing the lather towards the tips for the 2nd and 3rd passes, works great.

The only way I get around it by squeezing the lather towards the tips for the 2nd and 3rd passes, works great.

I do this too, but only if I'm going for a 4 pass shave. I can usually get enough lather on my face without squeezing it up for 3 passes.

It can be a challenge with some brushes to get lather well-mixed throughout the whole brush. The "pumping" action mentioned above helps; the deeper part of the knot (that is, your later lather) is usually first to suffer, so this helps bring out that water so you can mix it.

I believe that some brushes simply don't hold enough lather for 3+ passes, and you may need to reload some brushes if you're going that long. However, I will admit that I never go for more than 2 passes these days.

As long as the lather is anywhere in your brush, it'll end up on your face, right?
I'm always using my chin to push lather back up from the base of the knot to the tips.

Top Bottom