What's new

Straight bar vs. open comb

What is the difference in the shaving experience between a straight bar and open comb razor? Which is more aggressive? which is better for a beginer?

IMO, an open comb is more "aggressive", that is it will remove more whiskers per pass, usually with greater audible feedback, and potentially more nicks.

The Open Comb will very quickly teach you all about proper angle and no pressure, or you will suffer the consequences of nicks and cuts.

IMO, Open Combs do give a better shave than most safety bar razors.

The Barber Pole Slant and the Futur give me great shaves. So do the Open Comb Barber Pole, and the Open Comb Micromatic.

So maybe you should be asking yourself, "What order should I buy them in?" :001_smile

The Merkur open combs are more aggressive but not too IMHO. I really recommend the slant. They provide a surprisingly smooth shave. I have a light beard and use a slant with a feather and always get a nice shave. I have 2 other Murkurs that are open-combs but the slant is far and away the best shave. I also have a long comb Gillette new which (IMHO) is even more aggressive than the Merkurs.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Depending on which open comb you buy, you can get a mild open comb or an aggressive open comb (Goodfella, Old Type, NEW, Old model Muhle R89)... The open comb will leave teeth marks in the lather if your angle is off.

Open combs where available before the closed comb bar. To begin with, well, I don't think they're bad. A Gillette tech (closed comb) would be milder than almost anything and more forgiving.

i just got an open comb after a couple of months of shaving with a safety bar, due to being nervous about agressiveness. I say give a go to both and don't be nervous. just take your time!!

I think the issue is combining the wealth of information here and the self-created FUD, an open comb becomes a bit un-nerving...but don't let it be!! try an inexpesive user grade open comb NEW and you'll be surprised how good a shave it will give you. like i said, i just tried one and was pleasantly surprised, a 99% BBS on the first try w/ 2 passes and some touchup.

Depending on which open comb you buy, you can get a mild open comb or an aggressive open comb (Goodfella, Old Type, NEW, Old model Muhle R89)... The open comb will leave teeth marks in the lather if your angle is off....
This right here. An open comb can be mild too. And having a razor that leaves teeth marks in the lather if your angle is off is a good thing when you are learning angles (or an old hand at DE but shave while half awake sometimes early in the morning)
Open comb razors are my favourite, not more aggressive by the comb necessarily, many different types of open comb out there, so everyone can find their best OC razor.
Great for learning, great for shaving with if you have some serious stubble after not shaving for a while, and a great all round daily razor too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom