What's new

Aqua Velva Mouthwash?

I googled Aqua Velva and read the wikipedia article out of curiosity. It's pretty interesting for being only a few paragraphs. Here's what it says:

Aqua Velva is a line of men's grooming products, including a widely advertised aftershave originally introduced as an alcohol-based mouthwash for men in 1929 by the JB Williams Company (later acquired by GlaxoSmithKline). As of 2009, it is marketed worldwide by Combe Incorporated. Aqua Velva products include Classic Ice Blue, Ice Sport, and Musk aftershave.

The alcohol content of original Aqua Velva was high enough to actually inspire US sailors in World War II to use it as a substitute for alcoholic beverages. Aqua Velva contains a bittering agent, denatonium benzoate, to discourage consumption.

So people were actually using it as a mouthwash in the beginning? I cant imagine how it must taste.

I guess Sailors were drinking this since there wasnt any booze on the boat in WW2.

I understand this is Wikipedia and not to be taken as 100% truth, but is that a great history or what?

So people were actually using it as a mouthwash in the beginning? I cant imagine how it must taste.

The original Aqua Velva was a yellow liquid, much like the color of regular Listerine. The Aqua Velva Ice Blue we are most familiar with came about in the 1950's I think. I imagine the original yellow smelled much different.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Just figured out what you meant luvmysuper. Two posts in two categories about AquaVelva and Listerine. I can be a bit slow.

Yeah, I thought it was kind of funny that we had a post about using Aqua Velva as a mouthwash at the same time we had a post about using Listerine as an after shave.

:lol:

The shot luge is almost complete. Got a few bottles of AV Ice Blue ready for us Gentlemen, let's party.. :a17::a23:

proxy.php

proxy.php

"The alcohol content of original Aqua Velva was high enough to actually inspire US sailors in World War II to use it as a substitute for alcoholic beverages. Aqua Velva contains a bittering agent, denatonium benzoate, to discourage consumption." :blink:

"The alcohol content of original Aqua Velva was high enough to actually inspire US sailors in World War II to use it as a substitute for alcoholic beverages. Aqua Velva contains a bittering agent, denatonium benzoate, to discourage consumption." :blink:

That's why I mix mine with cola.:biggrin1:

The grandfather of a friend once told me, "Yeah, we used to drink Aqua Velva out at sea. If that sounds bad, I promise you that the Old Spice was worse!" :lol:

My dad told me stories of how on his sub the sailors would make drinks with the alcohol propellant for the torpedoes. Back when they were steam powered. TORPEDO JUICE

Top Bottom