What's new

Starter Setup

Any recommendations on either a starter setup (blade and strop) or just a first blade. I'm looking at under $100.00 for razor and strop but if just a razor recommendation my budget would be about $70.00

Any Vendors are welcome to PM me. Right now I'm looking at TESC's entry Dovo and Strop. Click Here for Link

i just got a boker king cutter razor + 3" srd strop for 122 shipped, (if you want a 2" strop its only 107). From doing a lil research and talking to them, this sounded like a GREAT deal, plus it comes shave ready with a certificate for a free honing..cant beat that deal! Id highly recommend dealing with them!

www.straightrazordesigns.com

Any recommendations on either a starter setup (blade and strop) or just a first blade. I'm looking at under $100.00 for razor and strop but if just a razor recommendation my budget would be about $70.00

Any Vendors are welcome to PM me. Right now I'm looking at TESC's entry Dovo and Strop. Click Here for Link

I assume you are talking a straight...cant go wrong with a Dovo, definately get it professionally honed and the cheapest one possible (assume you are buying new) I would recommend 5/8 as it is easier for most beginners to manuever. The entry level stuff from dovo shaves just as well as the higher dollar pieces just not as ornate or fancy in the scale department. Almost any strop will do the job to start out...even a leather belt if you blow your budget on the razor!!

Oh....and good luck! Don't expect the first one to be perfect. If you still have both ears and some toilet paper pieces will stop the bleeding, you are well on your way!!

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I would look for something on BST.

Some great recomendations there, you can't go wrong with any of them. I even got some really good stuff for ultra low dollar (Gold Dollar honed to one heck of an edge ((shaves great)), a luxurious Frank's Best badger brush and some not so pretty but great performing strops) from star shaving. The BST is a great resource but keep an eye on it as most things that are a good deal sell within the hour. I just missed a Tony Miller Latigo Strop that sold in only seven minutes! If you decide to go DE or you need soaps or creams, Bullgoose has some reasonable prices and the best customer service of any retail company that I have EVER done busisness with. There are also some of the world's best custom strop makers represented on this board and their prices are as good or better than what is commercially available.

Top Bottom