What's new

Please diagnose.

T

TreeHugger

Been DE shaving for a couple months now. Getting through my sampler, the smoothest shaves so far have been the Astras and Sharks in my Tech.

Here my's dilemma:

I used to shave with a Mach 3, then a Fusion for the past three years. I actually can't remember how the Mach 3 shaves were, it's been a while. My fusion shaves were very irritating. I dreaded shaving during those 3 years and tried to get away with not shaving as long as I could. Fast forward to 2010 and my 63' British Tech. The results of my Tech vs. the Fusion/Goo are comparable, in other words, the end look is similar, but with far less irritation (this is probably largely due to the prep). +1 so far.

However, the other day I used my usual Speick prep (which destroys my pre DE days) and used a disposable Schick Three Blade Disposable that I got with a travel kit. The results were pretty good with one pass, it was comparable to a 2 pass on the Tech. I'm not having a crisis and wanting to switch a cartridge because I know that in the long-run it will just increase irritation and ingrown-hairs, especially around the neck area. What I do want though is to know why my shaves with the Tech haven't been as smooth. Leaving everything else aside, the Schick Disposable was a smooth glide down my face, much moreso than the Tech. Now the Tech is not pulling, but it seems like it doesn't glide as well. Now I don't know if this is typical or not because I don't have too much experience.

I've tried 10-15 blades, I'm almost positive it's not a blade problem. Technique is decent, I've played around with different angles, no more cuts or anything like that.

Most blades already feel almost too sharp in this Tech except for the Astras, Sharks and a 7 O'Clock. Is the problem the Tech? Do I need a more/less aggressive razor? Or does a DE just not glide the way a cartridge does?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Been DE shaving for a couple months now. Getting through my sampler, the smoothest shaves so far have been the Astras and Sharks in my Tech.

Here my's dilemma:

I used to shave with a Mach 3, then a Fusion for the past three years. I actually can't remember how the Mach 3 shaves were, it's been a while. My fusion shaves were very irritating. I dreaded shaving during those 3 years and tried to get away with not shaving as long as I could. Fast forward to 2010 and my 63' British Tech. The results of my Tech vs. the Fusion/Goo are comparable, in other words, the end look is similar, but with far less irritation (this is probably largely due to the prep). +1 so far.

However, the other day I used my usual Speick prep (which destroys my pre DE days) and used a disposable Schick Three Blade Disposable that I got with a travel kit. The results were pretty good with one pass, it was comparable to a 2 pass on the Tech. I'm not having a crisis and wanting to switch a cartridge because I know that in the long-run it will just increase irritation and ingrown-hairs, especially around the neck area. What I do want though is to know why my shaves with the Tech haven't been as smooth. Leaving everything else aside, the Schick Disposable was a smooth glide down my face, much moreso than the Tech. Now the Tech is not pulling, but it seems like it doesn't glide as well. Now I don't know if this is typical or not because I don't have too much experience.

I've tried 10-15 blades, I'm almost positive it's not a blade problem. Technique is decent, I've played around with different angles, no more cuts or anything like that.

Most blades already feel almost too sharp in this Tech except for the Astras, Sharks and a 7 O'Clock. Is the problem the Tech? Do I need a more/less aggressive razor? Or does a DE just not glide the way a cartridge does?

The Tech is a great almost foolproof razor for both new folks and old hands alike.
It does require a little more work than a Futur dialed up to the top though :lol:

Have you tried any other DE razor such as a Superspeed or perhaps a Muhle R89?

These work pretty well for folks who are looking for a greater reduction per pass than is obtainable with the standard oval slotted Tech.

T

TreeHugger

The Tech is a great almost foolproof razor for both new folks and old hands alike.
It does require a little more work than a Futur dialed up to the top though :lol:

These work pretty well for folks who are looking for a greater reduction per pass than is obtainable with the standard oval slotted Tech.

The Tech is the only DE I've tried. I will end up buying/trying more razors. I just wanted some experience under my belt, and was hoping that things would turn around with the Tech.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member

+1

I would try something different.

+2, a superspeed is a good idea, very smooth razor.

Top Bottom