What's new

"Newbie needs Advice"

I could use a little advice, as I am looking for a good first razor/blade combo.

I am thinking of getting the $20 Feather D/E razor, but is this a good first Razor choice? Also, what is the best blades for it?

Thanks,
Chris

I do not own it myself, but I have seen posts by Leisure Guy and others which indicate that the Feather $20 is not a very good choice.

I would recommend purchasing a vintage Gillette handle on Ebay. If you want to keep it under $20, there are models which are less popular and as such are relatively inexpensive. I think adjustables are good first razors, since you can start with a very conservative setting as you work on technique, then open it up a little to get a closer shave as you become more comfortable. The Gillette Slim Handle adjustable often can be had for $20 or so, and if you want to spend a few dollars more, you can bid on a Gillette "Fat Boy" adjustable. The main differences between the two are: the handle of the "Fat Boy" is beefier, and the razor weighs more overall; the slim handle is a lighter razor. The curvature of the heads differs slightly, with the Fat Boy being acknowledged by most as having a better shaped head (one which permits a closer shave). Another low cost choice would be any model of "Super Speed". the ones from the 40's and early 50's are reputed to give closer shaves (I would agree-- I have one) but the later SS models are quite cheap on Ebay.

If used razors put you off, any number of internet channels will sell you a Merkur HD (Heavy Duty) for between 30 and 40 bucks. This is another good choice-- not adjustable but a very well made piece of equipment.

Good luck, and as you begin, it is more important to stick with your set up than to try many different ones. Your hands need to get used to the new skill without a lot of change ups.

Vin

Welcome, Chris!

I think adjustables are good first razors, since you can start with a very conservative setting as you work on technique, then open it up a little to get a closer shave as you become more comfortable... Vin

+1 Vin!

The Shave Mall, here on B&B, is a very good resource for used razors. If you are willing to invest a bit more in a razor, the Merkur Progress Adjustable is often referred to as the "Honda" of razors. They rarely come up on the B/S/T forum, so that tells you something.

I would suggest perusing the many posts, and try to look for posts by people who have a similar skin and beard-type to you. That will give you a much better idea of what will tend to work well for you.

See you around the board, Chris!

Tchau,
chop-chop

Welcome, Chris!

+1 Vin!

The Shave Mall, here on B&B, is a very good resource for used razors. If you are willing to invest a bit more in a razor, the Merkur Progress Adjustable is often referred to as the "Honda" of razors. They rarely come up on the B/S/T forum, so that tells you something.

I would suggest perusing the many posts, and try to look for posts by people who have a similar skin and beard-type to you. That will give you a much better idea of what will tend to work well for you.

See you around the board, Chris!

Tchau,
chop-chop

+2 Glad to have you on board Chris. You will find a plethora of shaving info as well as other unrelated information. Thanks for checking us out.:taz:

Chris --

Welcome to B&B; a grand shaving adventure awaits. You'll see some off brands like Parker and Feather, but I recommend you avoid them. I like the Gillettes, easily located at second-hand shops, antique stores, eBay, the trade forum here at B&B, and the like. The English produced Gillettes are favored and sought out, but many new shavers are hesitant to acquire a vintage razor they have to clean up, and may be in poor order. The alternative is to buy a new Merkur, available from a number of resources in the UK, and they have a good reputation. Buy quality blades; being in the UK you have the Swedish Gillette blades available, and Tesco blades are highly regarded. While some like them, the Merkur blades are generally regarded as 'second tier'. I'm sure some of the UK contingent will chime in here with some recommendations.

Before you go off and make a lot of purchases, I recommend you read Leisureguy's shaving blog, and view Mantic's shaving videos that he's posted on YouTube on the net. Also read Kyle's two articles that are 'stickied' at the top of this forum.

You don't need to be in a rush, just take a little time to review recommendations and make thoughtful selections.

-- John Gehman

Top Bottom