What's new

Oh, The Shark Bites ...

Maybe it's me, maybe it's the razor ... hard to tell. I got some Shark stainless blades in a sampler, tried it in my red tip and it tore up my face. Anyone else have a less than great shave with these blades? I'll try it in one of my ball end Techs to see if it works better in a less aggressive razor.

Shark Stainless are pretty sharp and you need to have very good technique
with a Redtip. I personally love the Shark Super Chromes, a good combination of sharp/smooth. And yes, trying those stainless in a less aggressive razor might just enable you to enjoy them more. I tend to use the sharper blades( Feather, Iridium, etc.) in more forgiving razors. Use less sharp blades in more aggressive razors. Hope this helps.

Shark Stainless are pretty sharp and you need to have very good technique
with a Redtip. I personally love the Shark Super Chromes, a good combination of sharp/smooth. And yes, trying those stainless in a less aggressive razor might just enable you to enjoy them more. I tend to use the sharper blades( Feather, Iridium, etc.) in more forgiving razors. Use less sharp blades in more aggressive razors. Hope this helps.

+1, that is what I do as well.

The super chromes are a nice blade, you may want to try those.

It's just you...and that's not a knock on you or your technique, but at this point, in that razor, you and Sharks don't get along.

I've run across blades that get loads of props on the forum, and for whatever reason, they don't get along with me as well as they do with others. Does that make it a bad blade, or me a flawed shaver?

Nope.

In the YMMV category, blades are only surpassed by scents. You can make a guess by looking at trends, but if all of shavegeekery thinks Brand X blades are the Bee's Knees, and they tear you up like a greedy little kid tears up wrapping paper on Christmas Day, then just move on to another blade.

Don't be afeared of re-visiting blades that didn't work out, either. The shaver you are today isn't the same one you'll be looking at in the mirror a year from know, especially if you're relatively new to the game.

Don't be afeared of re-visiting blades that didn't work out, either. The shaver you are today isn't the same one you'll be looking at in the mirror a year from know, especially if you're relatively new to the game.

As always, words of wisdom from a master of wet shaving. You may grow to love those Shark Stainless and develop such good technique that they will work for you in almost any razor.

Monday morning I will be using for the third time my second SS Shark from a sampler pack I bought. I will see if I want to try another use. From the first blade I got, IIRC, five shaves. Three is looking like all I want to bother with anymore for most new blades unless I see I'm really bucking a trend. But I do use different axes to use the blades. A "Fairness Doctrine" is what I'm looking to establish here.

But these Sharks seem decent and the price is right! :001_smile

Try the Sharks in a few months time. As other have said, what doesn't work for you now may work for you later as your technique evolves. For me, Shark Super Stainless blades have performed well, especially considering I was able to snag 70 them for less than $0.10 a blade in an auction.

I've tried 6-7 different blades now, and the Sharks ripped me to shreds. No issues with ANY other blade. I stuck it out for a few shaves, but I took great relish tossing that blade in the garbage.

I've tried 6-7 different blades now, and the Sharks ripped me to shreds. No issues with ANY other blade. I stuck it out for a few shaves, but I took great relish tossing that blade in the garbage.
No point in shredding your face. However, if you are still refining your techniques, try them again in a few months. If you get the same result, Sharks are not for you.

No point in shredding your face. However, if you are still refining your techniques, try them again in a few months. If you get the same result, Sharks are not for you.

+1

After a year and you have a problem, it's the blade.

For me DE, Derby Blades and SE it's Ted Pella (I believe the coating is different/heavier on these vs the Walgreen's Version) are bad.

I love the Shark blades. But my technique is 1000 X better than last year at this time.

John

I'm pretty happy with my technique - I'm sure it could be better, but the difference between the Shark and the other blades was like night and day for me.

The Shark Super Stainless don't work very well for me in the Fatboy but are great in my Slant. Interesting how razor and blade combination's vary so much.

I'm pretty happy with my technique - I'm sure it could be better, but the difference between the Shark and the other blades was like night and day for me.

I wouldn't consider a couple of months into DE shaving enough time to be conclusive but since you are happy with your other shaves, that's more than good enough for me. If the Sharks bite, then it's not the blade for you.

yeah in most razors I have to be especially careful on my lower neck/adams apple with the sharks(and most blades actually) not with the lady gillette though I'd purposely have to cut myself with that thing. I love really sharp blades with less aggressive razors really good combo.

And I have decided that three shaves are enough for the Shark SS. They're inexpensive, and I'll be revisiting them, I feel.

So many more to try!

Recently I bought a 5-pack each of Shark SS and Shark SC blades. I've been testing them in a 1958 Ball End Nickel Tech, always with the same lather. So far, after 2 blades of each kind (SS & SC), I am far happier with the SC. The SS gives me a pretty good shave, but not a very comfortable one. It feels like it is always tugging a bit. The SC on the other hand gives me a closer and more comfortable shave.

So, for me, the Shark Super Chromium (SC) blades win by a mile over the Shark Super Stainless (SS) blades. YMMV.

Which kind of Shark gave you trouble? Super Stainless or Super Chromium?

Sharks are my go-to-blade. I have never had a problem with them and can get 6 shaves out of a blade before going on to a new one but I have had troubles with other blades like the Gilette 7'o clock blades that everyone else seems to love. It could be a number of thing like technique, angle, the razor its paired with, water quality in the area you are in, etc. Blades just work differently for everyone.

Sharks are my go-to-blade. I have never had a problem with them and can get 6 shaves out of a blade before going on to a new one but I have had troubles with other blades like the Gilette 7'o clock blades that everyone else seems to love. It could be a number of thing like technique, angle, the razor its paired with, water quality in the area you are in, etc. Blades just work differently for everyone.

How would you rate these next to Derby's or IPs?

Top Bottom