What's new

creams, soaps, and brushes

I'm in the process of buying my first straight. I was wondering what I should look into for brushes, creams, and soaps. I'm guessing I need to get a variate of soaps and creams to get a feel for what I like. Any recommendations?

I wouldn't get a variety of soaps and creams to start with.

You'll have your hands full getting to grips with stropping and learning the straight - extra variables won't help initially.

A brush is pretty much a necessity though, and choice dictated by budget and preference

You don't really need a variety, though you'll end up with a variety sooner or later (you'll want to try this one and that one and that one and that one...). For the moment, you'll probably just want a pretty generic cream (TOBS might be a good starter, just pick a scent that sounds interesting, or C.O. Bigelowe if there's a Bath and Body Works in your area) and a cheap-but-good badger brush (like the Shea Moisture brush from Target or a Tweezerman). As the guy above me mentioned, don't go introducing more variables before you figure out the basic technique.

Many vendors offer samples. Truffit & Hill and Geo F. Trumpers both offer samplers on their web pages. Mama Bear Soap also does sample sizes of all her soap flavors. I dont think Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap does samples, but it is my favorite product, so I cant suggest that enough. It lathers easy, protects your face as good a anything else I have tried, and it is lanolin based so it is also the most moisturizing/healing product I have had the pleasure of using.

As for a brush, it depends on how much you want to spend. There are some great Boar brushes out there $10-30US. Omega and Semogue both produce top notch boars. Some Targets have the Shey Moisture brush for about $15, and it gets good reviews. I you are comfortable with the $70-100 range, then a Simpson in best or a Rooney size one in Super would both be excellent brushes you would likely not outgrow anytime soon. All of these brushes have their fans, but in my opinion the Simpsons in Best offer world class quality for middle of the road price. They are very dense, well constructed, soft, and you have a intimidatingly large set of options for handle and knot. The Persian Jar and the 50 Series are booth good middle of the road soap/cream brushes that would both serve you well if you derided you liked one type of product over the other.

you don't really need a variety, though you'll end up with a variety sooner or later (you'll want to try this one and that one and that one and that one...). For the moment, you'll probably just want a pretty generic cream (tobs might be a good starter, just pick a scent that sounds interesting, or c.o. Bigelowe if there's a bath and body works in your area) and a cheap-but-good badger brush (like the shea moisture brush from target or a tweezerman). As the guy above me mentioned, don't go introducing more variables before you figure out the basic technique.

+1

Another very good option for a entry level brush would be a Penworks Silvertip or Finest brush. To start off with I would go for a 22mm~24mm with a loft in the ballpark of 50~55mm. These are always a great value. They might lack a little bit of density as compared to a prestige brand (Simpson etc) but they are still great brushes, especially for the price. Soft tips, enough backbone, dense enough, and half (or even one third) the price of a high end equivalent. Plus Tony that makes them is great to work with. He is more than willing to talk with you and make you a brush that suites your needs. Not to mention he has some very lovely handle materials to choose between.

Last edited:
Top Bottom