What's new

Whiskey/Bourbon/Scotch - Why the drops of water?

OK, so I admit I'm not a Whiskey drinker (although Tim's reviews has me eagerly awaiting my trip to the liquor store later this week), but one thing has puzzled me when reading reviews and discussions. What does only one or two drops of water do to a Whiskey? I can't imagine that such a small amount of water would make a difference in the taste. But I've never done it either... Please enlighten me.

It helps to open up the bouquet in the whisk(e)y. Now the thing is that each whisk(e)y is different, so some will work better this way than others. You can start out with the whisk(e)y neat...nose it...taste it...and then add a couple drops of water and repeat the nosing and tasting. See how it develops.

Some people also like drinking at certain proofs. So for example someone might say they really don't enjoy anything over 100 proof...they might add a bit of water to cut the whisk(e)y down to that proof...especially when dealing with cask strength whisk(e)ys which might be as high as 126 (Bookers) or 140's like George T. Stagg.

So I guess the best thing is to just experiment and see what you enjoy. It is a pretty tasty journey :drool:

So am I correct in assuming that you would want to do this with some kind of filtered water?

That's what's usually recommended. But for Scotch what is recommended is the same water from the region where the distillery is located and that is used in the actual product, unfortunately this is not readily available.

Small amounts of water disturb the molecular composition of the whisky which can open up new aromas and flavors. Personally I find that it opens up more aromas than flavors, but this is only my opinion. Personally I'm not a big fan of adding water, but I have tasted everyone of my whiskies with a touch of water for comparison. I find that the only whiskies that are seriously changed are very strong, peaty Islays with high ABVs. Laphroaig Cask Strength, a real peat monster, gets even peatier with a drop or two of water.

Back in the day I always put a few drops of water in my malts, since that was the thing to do. Then I did a blind smell/taste test one against the other and couldn't tell the difference. I am now somewhat skeptical. I think that the swirling is the thing that really gets some air into the liquid that has been sitting idle in a closed container and causes the main difference. Still, no harm either way. Perhaps Timmy can take one for the team and set up a little blind test to see if he can tell the difference.

M

modern man

Try some Scotch with out it and some Scotch with it and see for yourself.

That is what I did, water dose make a change

Like putting a lime in a Corona (I know, I know breaking a man law, but I don't drink it at all let alone with or without the lime).

Back in the day I always put a few drops of water in my malts, since that was the thing to do. Then I did a blind smell/taste test one against the other and couldn't tell the difference. I am now somewhat skeptical. I think that the swirling is the thing that really gets some air into the liquid that has been sitting idle in a closed container and causes the main difference. Still, no harm either way. Perhaps Timmy can take one for the team and set up a little blind test to see if he can tell the difference.

Hmmm an excuse to drink more Whisky.....Twist my arm Scotto, I'll give it a shot. :thumbup1:

Hmmm an excuse to drink more Whisky.....Twist my arm Scotto, I'll give it a shot. :thumbup1:

I conducted a blind taste test and the results were inconclusive. There was definately a noticeable difference between the two. Identical amounts in identical glasses, for the "water" sample I added 3 drops of water.

I did a Blind Test with both Laphroaig CS and Cragganmore 12, both highly complex and aroma malts.

The Laphroaig CS the aroma was strong stronger with the undiluted and the flavor was better without water.

But for the Cragganmore, it really opened up with a touch of water, the bouquet was much more intense but the flavors were similar.

The more I think about it, I think the results were conclusive: There is a definately noticeable difference when a couple of drops of water are added, but it is not always positive. Some malts like the Cragganmore are even better while the Laphroaig CS is worse.

Interesting. Did you add the water and swirl, or leave things alone? That is a confounding variable in the experiment. I think you need to drink more to really find out. :rolleyes:

Interesting. Did you add the water and swirl, or leave things alone? That is a confounding variable in the experiment. I think you need to drink more to really find out. :rolleyes:

I did a nosing without swirling, really didn't notice much difference, then I swirled and the Cragganmore opened up and the CS faded into the distance.

I found it odd, because it is recommended to take the Laphroaig CS with water, but I found the aromas incredibly muted. My palate may be unusual because of all the very high proof bourbon I drink, 114 proof Scotch is pretty reasonable compared to that standard.

I think in the end I'll stick to my standard pattern I've used for the last year. When I get a new bottle, I try it neat and then with a touch of water, then I drink the rest of the bottle neat (not in one sitting of course :smile: ).

So for example someone might say they really don't enjoy anything over 100 proof...they might add a bit of water to cut the whisk(e)y down to that proof...especially when dealing with cask strength whisk(e)ys which might be as high as 126 (Bookers) or 140's like George T. Stagg.

So I guess the best thing is to just experiment and see what you enjoy. It is a pretty tasty journey :drool:

I feel that many out there are intimidated by high proof. It's with everything: use moderation. If you are drinking light beer you can have more than if you have wine, but the wine is so much higher in alcohol. I routinely drink very high proof bourbon, but my portion is much smaller and I take smaller sips to lessen the burn, this way I don't drink too much and I can enjoy the tremendously powerful and intense flavors that are only available at the higher proofs.

This is only my opinion but I have had Stagg with various levels of water and neat and neat is FAR superior. IMO the trick to Stagg is not watering down the proof, but pour size and sip size. When I pour myself a drink it's 1/2 ounce max and when starting just wet your lips with the bourbon, the flavors are powerful enough and the proof is high enough you will be able to enjoy it very much, then as you grow accustomed you take slightly larger sips, though my Stagg sip is still about half the size of my normal whiskey sip. Many people often talk about diluting Stagg but eveyone I know who has tried it neat and with water feels that it is vastly better neat.

Top Bottom