What's new

Is a straight really any better?

Thanks gents for all your replies to this post, I will say I love cleaning up and honing straights, I always get a thrill doing this, I also enjoy using a straight, but they don't shave me as good as a de, so I think I will carry on as I am, de's for my main shaves and a straight for now and then
IMO you'll never get really good at shaving with a straight unless you dedicate yourself to it. In my case, I never shaved with a DE so I hesitated to post here. For me, shaving with a straight is a pure thing, no third parties involved, just me, the hone and the razor, total control. I'm not knocking DEs, because I don't know them, but after years of shaving with a straight, the shaves are so good, it's hard to imagine how they could be any better. About 3 weeks ago, I started shaving my head and I'm back to the rooky stage, with the back of my head looking like I have a cat that likes to play hard. It took me three weeks to stop cutting myself and get something close to BBS. It's not the easiest way to shave my head but there's a great of satisfaction in mastering a difficult skill. I know that the challenges of shaving with a straight are not for everyone but, now that I've mastered it, I will never give it up.

I have now been shaving with a straight for nearly four months and I enjoy it immensely. The other day I shaved with a wilko classic DE for a change and I noticed the following things:
1. for the first time it felt just as awkward as shaving with a straight the first time.
2. the result was not necessarily better (I must admit this is not my favourite DE).
3. my skin did not feel as soft as after a straight shave.
4. the shave itself was not particularly fulfilling

I still have some work to do before I can achieve BBS with a straight but it does not matter because learning is part of the fun. I get very decent DFS shaves from my straight and it seems it is kinder on my skin so I will continue using them.

I enjoy the timeless simplicity and beauty of the straight razor. Whilst using them, I can not only improve my shave but I can also use them as a vehicle to learn new skills such as honing and scale restoration.

Last but not least, learning this skill has helped me gain perspective on the art of shaving. I think I now better understand why people switched to other razors. Some switched for convenience and to save time others because they simply got better shaves with other razors. Of course this is one of those YMMV things but for me shaving with a straight is not, at least yet, the ultimate shaving tool surpassing all others in every aspect, as I thought it might be, it is simply another way of shaving.

In the future, I see myself continuing straight razor shaving, but to satisfy my curiosity and gain yet more perspective, I shall have to try shaving with a disposable straight, an injector, an SE, an adjustable, an open comb and a slant.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
IMO you'll never get really good at shaving with a straight unless you dedicate yourself to it. In my case, I never shaved with a DE so I hesitated to post here. For me, shaving with a straight is a pure thing, no third parties involved, just me, the hone and the razor, total control. I'm not knocking DEs, because I don't know them........

If you can use a DE, you may be able to master the straight, given enough time and effort.

If you can use a straight, I can guarantee that you can adapt to a DE quite easily.

Frankly, I get closer, easier shaves from my DE. It is once again my primary shaver after going the straight route for about 4 months and getting to the point where I was happy with my shaves with it.

People like to emphasize the control you can get with a straight, but honestly the only control I find is the blade angle, which is just as easily done with many DEs.

Many compare a straight razor to driving a manual car. Well, if a straight is a manual, it's a manual Cadillac and a DE is an automatic sports car. For me and the way my hair grows, the DE is the preferred weapon. It's more agile than a straight razor, period. It's less cumbersome than a straight razor, period. The main reason being that the blade is smaller (length wise) and your hand is far enough away to be out of the way once again making it more agile. My hair under my jawline grows straight out horizontal. My jaw makes a sharp corner to my neck, and the only way I'd really be able to do this with a straight is holding my hand upside down, using the front edge of the blade. It's just two awkward. The DE fits right in there. If my hair grew another way, I wouldn't have this problem on my ATG passes, but it does. Then again I would then have a problem on any XTG passes.

Anyway, I can still get a good shave with a straight, just not as close as a DE. I keep my straights around for whenever I fancy using them, but they are no longer daily shavers. It just irks me to read that straights give you greater control when I just don't find that to be the case due to the large blade size and awkward method of holding it.

Frankly, I get closer, easier shaves from my DE. It is once again my primary shaver after going the straight route for about 4 months and getting to the point where I was happy with my shaves with it.

People like to emphasize the control you can get with a straight, but honestly the only control I find is the blade angle, which is just as easily done with many DEs.

Many compare a straight razor to driving a manual car. Well, if a straight is a manual, it's a manual Cadillac and a DE is an automatic sports car. For me and the way my hair grows, the DE is the preferred weapon. It's more agile than a straight razor, period. It's less cumbersome than a straight razor, period. The main reason being that the blade is smaller (length wise) and your hand is far enough away to be out of the way once again making it more agile. My hair under my jawline grows straight out horizontal. My jaw makes a sharp corner to my neck, and the only way I'd really be able to do this with a straight is holding my hand upside down, using the front edge of the blade. It's just two awkward. The DE fits right in there. If my hair grew another way, I wouldn't have this problem on my ATG passes, but it does. Then again I would then have a problem on any XTG passes.

Anyway, I can still get a good shave with a straight, just not as close as a DE. I keep my straights around for whenever I fancy using them, but they are no longer daily shavers. It just irks me to read that straights give you greater control when I just don't find that to be the case due to the large blade size and awkward method of holding it.

I disagree...I think you do have more control on a straight. Having used both and the straights only for a month or so the control come in at corners of the mouth, near the ears, below the nose. You can angle the blade in these tight spots and literally go after a single hair.

Now that being said, you make a good point with the blade size. The greatest problem area I have are going on the neck from w-e or e-w but this can be overcome by taking a slanted approach.

Not trying to bash the DE's butfrom a control standpoint the straights win hands down...IMHO of course.

Not trying to bash the DE's butfrom a control standpoint the straights win hands down...IMHO of course.

Yes, a safety razor (DE, SE, Injector) limits the degree to which you can vary the blade angle -- you are bracketed by the razor's guard and cap. Attempts to vary the angle beyond that simply lift the blade off the face unless you press down which is asking for trouble.

That being said, the blade angles available with a safety razor generally fall into the most useful range.

Yes, a safety razor (DE, SE, Injector) limits the degree to which you can vary the blade angle -- you are bracketed by the razor's guard and cap. Attempts to vary the angle beyond that simply lift the blade off the face unless you press down which is asking for trouble.

That being said, the blade angles available with a safety razor generally fall into the most useful range.
true but the control also comes in the ability to use only parts of the blade at any given time (toe or heel). Ones with a point are especially useful as their tip can snug right up to the hairs under the nose for example where a DE struggles. Obviously, its not insurmountable for the DE but I think the Straight gives you a lot more precision.

I would also say that a staight gives a lot more feedback as there have been several times where I was able to halt a cut due to feedback that would have resulted in a nick with a DE.

I have now been shaving with a straight for nearly four months and I enjoy it immensely. The other day I shaved with a wilko classic DE for a change and I noticed the following things:
1. for the first time it felt just as awkward as shaving with a straight the first time.
2. the result was not necessarily better (I must admit this is not my favourite DE).
3. my skin did not feel as soft as after a straight shave.
4. the shave itself was not particularly fulfilling

I cannot agree more.

I've been shaving exclusively with a straight since June, and it's been a rough road. Luckily, being a teacher, I have rather long summer vacations and had the leisure to make mistakes.

Using a straight requires consistent attention: watch your angle and your pressure while you shave, watch your stropping, watch your edge's sharpness regurlarly to decide whether you need to touch up, watch out for that sink touching your edge, etc.

Today I can shave every day with a straight and maintain a sharp edge, go BBS with zero irritation, but it still takes me 30 mins every time, and I had to learn quite a few things along the way:

* DE will give you most of the time a better, closer shave. But they won't make your skin feel as good. I don't know if it's a question of exfoliation, but with a DE my face feels uneven, even though the hair are perfectly gone. With a straight, there might be a few angstroms more hair, but my face feels great and fresh.

* A straight requires control over every part of your shaving regiment. With a DE, I get a good shave regardless of the soap/cream I use. But with a straight, many products suddenly stopped being good for me. For example, I DE shaved with TOBS Unscented for the longest time, but when I switched to a straight, I couldn't use it anymore. And I discovered it after I had managed to get BBS with Tabac soap and TOBS rose. For whatever reason, certain products do not agree with my straight, and the why is yet obscure (why does TOBS rose work and TOBS avocado not? no idea). Figuring out the use (or not!) of alum, pre/post, balms, or AS become much more critical. But nothing's all bad: at least my straight has reduced my shaving supplies AD! (So to compensate, I now spend my money on cologne, but oh well....)

* You will need a lot of practice on the hard spots with a straight. Hair on my throat grows sideways, so shaving ATG with a DE is a breeze, but requires a few contortions when I use a straight.

* When you think you "got" it, the next time you suddenly "lose" it. One day you get BBS and no irritation, your face is smooth and the mere use of an AS is enough. The next day your blade doesn't cut and scrapes your face to shreds... Perserverance is the name of the game here.

* Proper technique has to be burnished into your muscles, like dance or woodoworking. Going back to a DE after weeks of practice with a straight will feel bizarre and awkward. At some point I took a break from the straight, and the first time I touched the DE, it felt like learning how to shave all over again. When you decide to go upriver, you have to go all the way!

In the end, I could go back to the DE for the convenience and the speed, but that would be it. I reserve my DE for travel, since it's easier to carry around. I shave in the evening, even though it inevitably means sporting a 5 o'clock shadow, but the moment of quietness at the end of the day, and the leisure to practice my skill pay for it.

Last edited:
It's just different for everyone. Myself, I find it easier to get at the corners of my mouth and under my nose with a DE than a straight. If I start using a straight at that angle under my nose it just gets all grabby instead of cutty.

DE's and straight are fun, I enjoy shaving with both.

Rotio is 70/30 to 30/70.

If I shave with a straight all week, I shave before bed and the shave will for the most part last throughout the next day, and I enjoy it.

DE's I use when I want that, " Hey, Feel my face " shave, and I enjoy it. :thumbup1:

So bottom line is, I get a better shave from a DE, but enjoy them both very much. :thumbup:

SE's weren't for me, and hey, I never tried an injector.:laugh:

To the question- I started straight shaving about May this year so about 6 months ago. I enjoy consistent BBS on my cheeks and moustache area when i use my straight. I get pretty good results on my neck and chin area too. I'm still very much enjoying the experience. I've had a few nicks and cuts along the way but no scars (yet)....... I've had some horrible cuts with my DE. I don't aim for BBS, i'm happy with my consistent DFS.

There's certain things i can do with a straight i could not do with a DE. The moustache area for example is easier to access than with a DE. Try and get a Fat Boy or Futur up there.....

I will still use my DE on a rare occasion just for the novelty. Its a shame to hear some of the guys who got into straight shaving about the time i did are gonna quit.

I only shaved with a DE for a short while before jumping into straights and for me it's about the challenge. I like the idea that it is not easy to master a straight and that it will take me a long time get a BBS shave. I also like the maintenance and primitive/macho/cool factor - basically that I am doing something that none of my friends or relatives do or have thought about doing.

A lot of honest posts. I'm surprised.

As I continue to shave with a straight, it seems like I unlock little secrets every two weeks or so. And the shaves get slightly better. Someone mentioned their shaves being like a cartridge shave. I'm pretty much there, with slightly better results depending on the spot of my face.

Will I ever be good enough with a straight to compete with a DE Feather shave. Eh, maybe?

Right now with a straight shave my cheeks are no problem, and I can get my neck pretty clean. But my chin and lip? Yeah. I think I grow sandpaper on this part of my face. I can't imagine getting it perfectly clean with a straight. I just don't know how to approach it. I've tried ATG passes on my lip and it ends terribly.

But I trust what I read about straights. I've heard a lot of people, with a lot of different style beards say that you just can't compete with a straight shave. So I'm in it for the long haul.

I like this thread. I think it's a good topic.

A lot of honest posts.

Right now with a straight shave my cheeks are no problem, and I can get my neck pretty clean. But my chin and lip? Yeah. I think I grow sandpaper on this part of my face. I can't imagine getting it perfectly clean with a straight. I just don't know how to approach it. I've tried ATG passes on my lip and it ends terribly.
I like this thread. I think it's a good topic.

As you say, cheeks are easy. I tried ATG with the chin and moustache and discovered it was just easier and cleaner to do two simple WTG passes in these areas and now i get quite good results.

Top Bottom