What's new

Is a straight really any better?

I have used a straight on, and off for the last 6 months. For the first 2-3 months I used the straight everyday.

Every time I inflicts cuts to my face (that I otherwise wouldn't have gotten with a DE/SE/Injector) I wonder if the whole straight adventure is worth it. I have also given myself a couple of permanent scars I otherwise wouldn't have gotten.

Honestly, for me at my current skill level, the straight is pretty inferior to the results I can get with a DE/SE/Injector. I get vastly more cuts, and irritation (especially on my neck) from using a straight.

I am giving serious thought today to selling off all of my straights except for my Kai Captain Excelia. I can get a better quality, and more consistent shave with the Kai Captain than I can with any of my actual straights.

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Straights are more work, take longer, and are more frustrating and aggravating, but for me they're more fun. DE's are wonderful tools, and make getting a truly fine shave a breeze. I don't know what I would have done without them.

Here are three of my current favorites.

For me, I can get just as good a shave with a straight as I can with an SE. (I quit using DEs after 2 or 3 shaves with an SE.) That is, I can do so if the straight is freshly honed by someone who is good at it.

So, I feel I have mastered straight shaving but unfortunately I have not mastered straight honing. For the life of me, I can't get as good an edge as comes with a new straight honed by the dealer. So for now I mostly shave with my GEM. I still occasionally shave with a straight as I practice my honing technique. I am to the point where I can get an edge that is just barely acceptable, but not really very good.

I don't think a straight will ever give a better shave than my SE. Matching the SE shave is my ultimate goal when straight shaving.

In most posts on here i read that most folks start with a de, then move over to a straight, how many folks can say that they will never go back to a de?

You've described my shaving journey. However, having arrived at Straights I can honestly say I "will never go back to a DE".

I get an exceptionally DFS approaching BBS with my straights everyday. As I see it, I will return to DE only if illness or infirmity prevent my using a straight.

I've gotten a shave as close with a DE razor as with my a straight (with my Henckels DE). But I skinned myself doing it. So I guess the reason is that I know how to angle a straight and don't know how to angle an aggressive DE. That said, my Tech could NEVER get me to the kind of shave I get from a straight, and frankly I don't think that Henckels is any easier to use than a straight is (even if I were skilled with both I doubt I'd feel any differently). It's potato/Potahtoe. To get a shave as close as a straight, you seem to need a DE just as dangerous as a straight. For my money, a straight is a better shave. If I misalign my straight, it digs in. I get a little slice. If I misalign an aggressive DE, I don't realize that it's removing several layers of skin until I reach for my a/s and then my face feels like I've got a horrible sunburn for the next couple days. Some day I'll get enough practice with a DE that I don't horribly abuse myself. The main advantage I see of DE is that it does the awkward ATG angles easily, where as with a straight I need to be a contortionist. I wouldn't say it's any less likely to hurt me or any easier to learn.

No need for a contest. I use them both. I can get a great shave with either.
I choose one or the other based on mood... and I can stay moody for weeks. Over the years, I'd say its close to 50-50.

Good question Taffy.

I seriously think this is a "chase" is as good (or better) than the "catch" sort of thing. Is str8 shaving easier? Not by any means. But there is something about shaving in the morning with a no kidding straight razor that beats all...even better if you're shaving with an edge you created (or at least maintained).

Thats the crux for me....thats what makes it so fun.

On days when I have a very important meeting or am running late...I turn to the DE because its less risky, I've mastered it and I can knock out an irritation free shave in 10 minutes.

I enjoy both methods and will continue to do so for the future. Its all about what you enjoy and what you have the time for...

There is no contest for me: I can get a quicker, smoother shave from a DE. Most folks are into straight shaving for the challenge and the romance of it. The above is true with one notable difference: long stubble. The first shave after a long weekend is much better with a straight. A straignt will mow through my 3-4 day stubble far more efficiently than any other razor, without any rinsing.

I like both, both are fun for different reasons. When I am in a rush at 6 am to go to work at the bank an SE or Injector or a NEW works great. If I go into work on a later day I can use my straights.

Stropping and honing is fun and is a project all it's own which adds appeal for me and straights but just swiping an old injector fast a long my face and getting super nice bbs is good too! :tongue_sm

I just realized that I haven't touched my DE for about 2 months. It took me about two weeks to get good result with a straight. Now I think I get a better shave with my straights then my Merkur 38C but will have to try my 38C again to compare. Its easier to control the angle etc once you practice a lot with a straight around the chin area and under the nose.

I have cut myself more using my ''safety'' razor than with any straight. I think the name gave me a sense of complacency. When I use my straights I'm more careful.

But the main reason I prefer using straights is i enjoy shaving, and before I hated having to shave.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
It took me a while before I could get BBS shaves with a straight. I switched when I was able to get a BBS shave with a DE every day. Sure, it wasn't as smooth at first and I was cutting myself here and there...

I don't think I would go back to DE unless I have to. Don't get me wrong, I love DE shaves but a straight razor is a bit more of a challenge...

I think the straight is better because...

- You have the entire blade to work with.
- You determine how much you shave off. Not the blade.
- You save money.
- It's fun.
- It's effective.

Since switching to a straight over a DE, my problem area of ingrown hairs and irritation on the right side of my lower neck next to my adams apple have completely went away.

A DE was an improvement over cartridges in this area, but a straight now leaves me with absolutely no irritation. I can get equally good shaves from both, but the lack of irritation with a straight is worth it to me.

Thanks gents for all your replies to this post, I will say I love cleaning up and honing straights, I always get a thrill doing this, I also enjoy using a straight, but they don't shave me as good as a de, so I think I will carry on as I am, de's for my main shaves and a straight for now and then

Thanks gents for all your replies to this post, I will say I love cleaning up and honing straights, I always get a thrill doing this, I also enjoy using a straight, but they don't shave me as good as a de, so I think I will carry on as I am, de's for my main shaves and a straight for now and then

As long as you're happy, that's mission accomplished in my book :thumbup1:

Go for what feels right.

I gave up on trying to figure out what a "typical B&B member" does once I figured out that person doesn't exist.

Legion

Staff member
The majority of my shaves are now with a straight. I only use my de or se when I am in a hurry. I'm getting pretty good shaves regually with the straight now but, if I had to be honest, I can get a better, and faster shave off the safety razor. But I don't care. I am really not using the straight because it gives better results. I do it because it is cool, a manskill that I want to keep alive, and because it is difficult and I like a challenge.

I really felt I had learnt all I could about shaving with a de. Now I can learn something new and watch myself improve as time goes by. Getting bbs shaves off a de every time can get kind of boring. I wanted to be interested in wet shaving again and straights have rekindled my interest.

I'm also having fun restoring vintage blades I find and get a lot of satisfaction from taking a rusted old razor and bringing it back from the dead.

I'm not going to completely turn my back on safety razors but I really feel that the guys who never learn to use a straight razor have only known half the story.

Last edited:
Top Bottom