What's new

Coffee Grinder (in Australia)

Hello

I've been using Moccona instant coffee. I'm a full time university student on a budget.

I have a plunger but in the past I found the coffee to be weak when I used it to make coffee. I've been told if I put a bit of effort into it I can make a decent coffee with it and the place to start is with a coffee grinder. What do people recommend?

I've seen these two models on the internet:

Sunbeam-autogrinder

Russell Hobbs Electric Grinder

I have been told to look at a more expensive grinder but it's over $100 Australian and above my budget. It's this one:
Sunbeam 0450

I am supposed to be getting a fair amount of money later this year so should I look at the third option? Although the first 2 would be more affordable.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Get a fair quality mill grinder. They grind the beans much more evenly. Also the blade grinders can be a pain to get the coffee out after grinding. Its fun just experimenting with grind and amount of coffee. The best is coffee in a press. I recommend investing in a stainless steel French Press. They won't break and they keep the coffee hot. Hmmm...I may make one right now for breakfast with some Kenyan beans. Good luck.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Upgrading from instant would already help a lot. You could always get a pack of Vittoria coffee. I know, it's 3 times the price but, just 1 to try it. I found it to be nice. There's an Italian grocery in Brunswick (where they also sell Proraso for very very very cheap) that sells excellent coffee.

For the grinder, I would stay away from the one that Coles and Woolies sell...

I just picked up a packet of pre-ground Genovese "Super Brazil" coffee from a coffee shop. They said it is similar to the cup of coffee I had there.

I'll look for that Vittoria coffee later in the week when I have more time. Is it better if I buy the coffee beans and freshly grind them in a coffee grinder just before making my coffee?

I'll still keep the Moconna instant coffee for when I don't have much time in the morning.

Luc

Staff member
I just picked up a packet of pre-ground Genovese "Super Brazil" coffee from a coffee shop. They said it is similar to the cup of coffee I had there.

I'll look for that Vittoria coffee later in the week when I have more time. Is it better if I buy the coffee beans and freshly grind them in a coffee grinder just before making my coffee?

I'll still keep the Moconna instant coffee for when I don't have much time in the morning.

It takes me around 5 minutes to make a coffee... From cleaning the coffee machine to cup.

I have a 1 cup espresso maker that I leave on the stove top. It makes great coffee.

Lavazza is good coffee too, as recommended by Rocco!

It takes me around 5 minutes to make a coffee... From cleaning the coffee machine to cup.

I have a 1 cup espresso maker that I leave on the stove top. It makes great coffee.

Lavazza is good coffee too, as recommended by Rocco!

Do you use a coffee grinder or do you just buy the coffee pre-ground? I have to admit coffee grinders I've seen on youtube seem rather loud and I don't want to wake anybody up in the morning.

I buy my Lavazza pre gound. Usually Woolies or Coles have the cheapest and from time to time it is on special.

Luc

Staff member
Do you use a coffee grinder or do you just buy the coffee pre-ground? I have to admit coffee grinders I've seen on youtube seem rather loud and I don't want to wake anybody up in the morning.

The coffee gurus will shoot me for this but I grind what I need for the week. I keep the coffee in an air tight container...

If I would grind coffee every morning, I would probably go with a manual grinder... However, pre-ground can be better in your case. I buy some sometimes and I'm happy with it.

You could also consider buying pre-ground from a local roaster - that way, although not as good as freshly ground, it will be a lot better than what you'll get in a supermarket and you can buy smaller amounts. 200 grams from my local roaster is about $6.

You could also consider buying pre-ground from a local roaster - that way, although not as good as freshly ground, it will be a lot better than what you'll get in a supermarket and you can buy smaller amounts. 200 grams from my local roaster is about $6.

I live not far from Greensborough so I guess I can check out what's there for roasted coffee. I also travel into the city most days of the week.

Rather than get a noisy grinder maybe I should just buy an Aeropress? I'm finding my plunger a bit of a nuisance with cleaning it.

Luc

Staff member
I use one of those, the small version that makes 2 espresso cups at the time...

proxy.php

You can make your lather a day, or even a week ahead of time, but i wouldn't recommend it. :p

You can do better with a good hand burr grinder then you can with any cheap whirly bird or cheap burr grinder. The key to good press coffee is the same as it is for good espresso (minus the pressure factor). It is all about the consistency of grind, freshness of beans, and temperature of water. Of course with press coffee you are shooting for a much courser grind.

http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmarias/grinders/manual-grinders/zassenhaus-knee-mill.html

Coffee beans start to degas faster when ground up and it really ends up being a different product 15 minutes after grinding. Grinding fresh and using proper technique can give you great Press coffee with little effort and minimal cost. You will be amazed at the difference in the cup.

1. Save your money and blow it on the best grinder you can afford, when you can afford it.

2. Buy coffee that has been recently roasted from a roaster who really knows their coffee. (like 5 senses, or the slew of local artisan roasters that have been popping up in Aus)

3. Avoid Italian brands like the plague. Why? It's not fresh. It just isn't. It arrives on your shores pre-staled. (yum?)

4. Fresh-ground is always better than pre-ground. Even if that means tossing the whole beans in a plastic bag and crushing them with the heal of your boot to as even a consistency as you can manage. (seriously)

I've put a deposit on a coffee grinder, the Sunbeam EM0450. I'm just waiting for it to arrive. I bought some pre-ground Vittoria coffee to try in the mean time.

I've been drinking Antico Coffee, Special Moka, and that seems nice. So far I've been drinking the pre-ground version but i bought the bean version to try with my grinder when it arrives.

I'll avoid using the grinder too early in the morning so hopefully that wont be a problem for the neighbours. I'll try grinding my morning coffee the night before and putting it in the fridge like I have been with the pre-ground coffee.

Top Bottom