What's new

In a hurry? I won't even consider shaving.

I've read a lot of reviews lately stating that, "If you're in a hurry, then you can get a decent shave with 'product X' and still look acceptable."

I'll be the judge of whats acceptable thank you.

Let me say that, obviously, I won't shave if I'm even in the slightest bit of a rush.

To be fair, I'm sure that a lot of you gentlemen have professions and social agendas that place certain demands upon you, making it a necessity to look a certain way and/or maintain a particular image; And looking clean and shaven may be one of those demands.

With that, I would also like to state that when it comes to my career(I teach English, with a certain propensity for professionalism that most of you can appreciate) I refuse to be encumbered in that way.

What I mean, however pretentious it may sound, is that, I am by no means a slovenly person and I, as I am sure you do as well, have a healthy respect for my image and I will not have my personal autonomy infringed upon.

While working graveyard many years ago, my employer expressed his disdain for my appearance, specifically my five o'clock shadow. In no other way was my appearance unsatisfactory to him. Well, he kept harassing me about it despite my exemplary conduct and work ethic; so I quit.

Now, years later, as a teacher I maintain that respect for myself and others. So, don't tell me I need to shave or go home. For goodness sakes man, I'm an adult! A finely dressed one at that. :sneaky2:

I don't look at my five o'clock shadow and say, "I can't go to work looking like that!" I'll shave if I feel like it, and on my own terms; Isn't that the point of traditional wet shaving?

I'll get off my box now gents. :biggrin1:

I think the people saying this are ones who work at places where shaving is required. I prefer a relaxed shaved, so if I am in a hurry, I do not shave either.

I can rush and must rush a shave as my position warrants a clean shaven face (or a well groomed beard/mustache).

I can rush and must rush a shave as my position warrants a clean shaven face (or a well groomed beard/mustache).

I absolutely understand and respect your position; Even though I prefer and recognize the well-kept nature of the clean shaven look, I believe that, if done correctly, I will look acceptable with any style of beard.

Being clean shaven is part of the dress code at the clinic I work at.

You might as well not even go in if you have stubble because depending on how bad it looks you're gonna be going right back home to shave with a write up.

I am the same as you, I shave daily, but if I don't have work then I will shave whenever I have enough time in the day to take my time because I just like to take my time when it comes to all grooming

My alarm clock is set 15 minutes fast just so I will still have plenty of time to get ready in the morning even if I hit the snooze button a few times.

I have to say that a gentleman who doesn't have time to shave when it would be more appropriate to do so, is a gentleman who very often has a problem with time management. Having spent four years in the service of Uncle Sam, who did not tolerate five o'clock shadow; then, having spent another 23 years in uniform with a sheriff's department, which also insisted on clean-shaven officers, I can see very little excuse for going unshaven when clean shaven would be more in keeping with the expectations of one's employer or co-workers. Being a gentleman means, in my opinion, having the self-discipline to present oneself at his very best, especially in a professional setting.

The school I work at is pretty relaxed about shaving and many teachers often don't shave regularly. I have a heavy beard and prefer to be clean shaven even on dress down days. But that is just my preference. I take a break on the weekend unless an occasion requires it.

For me it isn't a professional thing, I just feel better clean shaven or with a full beard. No in between. So I do rush from time to time, which has on occasion caused nicks and razor burn. When in a rush I stick to proraso because it is easy to make a great lather from.

I don't like going back to the Mach 3 but I have had to do that on occasion too. I don't want to make a habit of that!

If I want it really doesnt take me to much longer to shave with a DE then a mach anymore. Im kinda lucky when it comes to my work though, I can skip a day of shaving if I need to.

I have to say that a gentleman who doesn't have time to shave when it would be more appropriate to do so, is a gentleman who very often has a problem with time management. Having spent four years in the service of Uncle Sam, who did not tolerate five o'clock shadow; then, having spent another 23 years in uniform with a sheriff's department, which also insisted on clean-shaven officers, I can see very little excuse for going unshaven when clean shaven would be more in keeping with the expectations of one's employer or co-workers. Being a gentleman means, in my opinion, having the self-discipline to present oneself at his very best, especially in a professional setting.

Indeed a valid point. I will say however that I craft my career around my life, not the other way around. I must live up to the expectations of my employer just as he must live up to my standards.

I suppose I simply don't put myself in positions that are not conducive to my happiness. An occupation for instance that imposed, by my estimation, unreasonable expectations, would not be something I would consider.

My needs come first. :biggrin1:

Patience, my sons. As you age and your beard turns to white, your 5 o'clock shadow turns into 5 o'clock stubble. I have my leisurely shave at night and make it through the next day.

If I have a feeling that I won't want to shave the next day before work I usually shave the night before. If I'm rushed in the morning I will just skip the shave.

Patience, my sons. As you age and your beard turns to white, your 5 o'clock shadow turns into 5 o'clock stubble. I have my leisurely shave at night and make it through the next day.

+1. One of the few benefits of getting older - er as I my wife tells me to say, "more experienced."

Indeed a valid point. I will say however that I craft my career around my life, not the other way around. I must live up to the expectations of my employer just as he must live up to my standards.

I suppose I simply don't put myself in positions that are not conducive to my happiness. An occupation for instance that imposed, by my estimation, unreasonable expectations, would not be something I would consider.

It seems you exhibited a great degree of self-knowledge when you chose a career far, far away from client service. Professional clients paying for one's time tend not to care a whit for one's personal happiness. :001_rolle

It seems you exhibited a great degree of self-knowledge when you chose a career far, far away from client service. Professional clients paying for one's time tend not to care a whit for one's personal happiness. :001_rolle

I have found this to be the truth in far more than just client service.

I can see both points. I am i the camp that won't shave unless I have ample time. I also find that (at least in Western Canada) it has become a socially acceptable to have stubble, especially with the younger generation. And I mean well dressed, fine gentlemen with a stubble....

If I am in a hurry I'll do one pass wtg and with the slickest, most protective soap/cream I have and one pass xtg. This takes less time than using an electric! Not bbs but a dfs and done is about 5 minutes.

Top Bottom