What's new

Super Speed = Super Smooth

Just got this today, waited for a week and boy was it worth it..It's of 1953 vintage.

Last edited:
I just shaved with mine about 45 minutes ago and was sitting here feeling up my face when I saw your post. My usual is a three-piece 1904, but I've got to say, tonight the 40s style did me right. I think my Fitness soap helped, but this is a keeper. The fact that I can move this thing around like its an extension of my hand is a big plus.

It's good to see you got the razor you've been waiting for. If you don't find it smooth early on, I recommend you don't sell it, but put it away for a few months and revisit it. Lots of folks in the know really appreciate the traits of the 40s style.

The '40s Superspeed is, for me, the easiest DE razor to shave with that I have ever used. I have other razors that will give me a great shave but require a modicum of care in doing so. For example, a Diplomat, New or Rocket are much more likely to "bite" if you aren't careful. The SS, on the other hand, is considerably more forgiving of less than stellar technique. For this reason, it is an ideal razor for someone new to DE shaving. But don't think that this somehow means that it isn't well suited for the experienced shaver. In the hands of someone with good technique, it will provide an extremely close and comfortable shave. I now have over ten DE razors but none gets near the use that the SS does.

That's a nice razor. I have 3 like it myself. I have very good technique and get excellent shaves from my superspeeds. They don't always get the love on these forums but they're loved by me. I'm actually PIF'ing one right now in the PIF forum

Last edited:
I have to agree with everyone. I just got a NDC SS last week and I am going to be hard-pressed to go back to my Merkur HD which I have been using daily for more than a year at this point. The Super Speed is all but automatic. I cannot believe the quality of shaves that I'm getting with very little effort.

-Greg

P.S. I actually picked up 2 NDC SS's. Not sure that I'll need them both but I may put one away "just in case". OR PIF it to my brother-in-law who has expressed some interest. Or maybe I'll PIF him my HD. Hmmm.....

Those 40s SS's rock! My first DE was a Red Tip, at the time a couple monthes ago to aggressive. My second was a Ranger Tech. I recently aquirred a 40s SS and man it is IMHO right between a redtip and ranger. Perfect! Enjoy!!!

Jay

Ah, the 40's style Super Speed. The country was taking a deep breath after WWII and before the Korean War. A generation of guys had gotten out of uniform and back into civvies, and wanted something more than the spartan three piece Tech that Uncle Sam had provided.

The early Super Speeds picked up right where the Ranger Tech left off. Solid, convenient, and with the introduction of the notches and the blade dispenser, a fitting implement of the Atomic Age.

You think the guy below looks smug because of his duds? Nah, he knows he's going to get a great shave later with his 1949 Super Speed...

proxy.php

I thik its funny... I acquirred my Ranger Tech first but after a month or so one see's the end flexing. I got worried about the little spot welds failing... Usually I aschew almost anything modern as being worse... I looked at a 40s SS and saw how the end caps covered it!!! Epiphany!!! I can only imagine how our boys thought back then! My first thought was wow!... at the slick styling and the end caps to keep the weld from popping! Amazing!! Aah well technology reruns!! Still kinda makes ya scratch your head at the amazingly intracate simplicity of these little devices we call razors.

Jay

Top Bottom