What's new

OTHER NATURAL STONES vs JNATS

I wonder if there are other natural stones who's slurry is friable (breaks down) like jnats do. I guess that is one reason they are such fine finishers. I have 4 jnats coming from various sources. None have a pedigree, but I look forward to a new experience Any info will be appreciated.

I think most sharpening stones grit breaks down. The only ones that don't are the ones that contain quartzite (or did I make that word up?) like Novaculite/Charnley (IE mostly oilstones), and garnets (cotis/BBW). I am not confident in this statement though, so if someone actually knows, feel free to correct me.

All four are Awaseto? That's an investment. Three of my four aren't pedigreed but vouched for by the people I got them from. All four are quite nice finishers.

I don't know of any other hones which behave similarly. If you find any, come back and share.

If I am not mistaken Eschers and coticules do not break down.
The finisher really does not matter only the quality o the edge. All different stones have differently shaped grit particles so they can't be compared in terms of sizes , rahter in terms of quality of finish. Even this comparison is very subjective because there are no two identical natural stones from the same source. At least that is how I see it.

What am I missing Chaos? Did a post get deleted?

Not that I can see. Simply a strange thread.

If I am not mistaken Eschers and coticules do not break down.
The finisher really does not matter only the quality o the edge. All different stones have differently shaped grit particles so they can't be compared in terms of sizes , rahter in terms of quality of finish. Even this comparison is very subjective because there are no two identical natural stones from the same source. At least that is how I see it.

That is how I understand it too. The abrasive in Eschers and Coticules are rhomboid garnets. Being crystals, they may cleave to form the slurry. If they continue to break down after that, in my experience it is not in a fashion similar to Japanese naturals.

Of course, I could be wrong.

From what I understand there is enough variation in JNats to keep a guy busy for a lifetime.

You asked if all four were Awaseto... where did you get that from? I feel like I'm missing something obvious. :tongue_sm

Doh! My bad. I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that the hones to which he referred are finishing hones. For example, I would not consider a lot friability a good attribute in a bevel setter.

That is how I understand it too. The abrasive in Eschers and Coticules are rhomboid garnets. Being crystals, they may cleave to form the slurry. If they continue to break down after that, in my experience it is not in a fashion similar to Japanese naturals.

Of course, I could be wrong.

PC - I think the abrasives in the Eschers are quartz grains. Neither quartz nor garnets have cleavage (maybe Mrs. quartz and Mrs. garnet...). They may fracture under a lot of pressure (e.g., grinding) but I doubt honing would cause much of that. I have no experience w/ the Eschers, but that's essentially why you have to dilute with coticules.

PC - I think the abrasives in the Eschers are quartz grains. Neither quartz nor garnets have cleavage (maybe Mrs. quartz and Mrs. garnet...). They may fracture under a lot of pressure (e.g., grinding) but I doubt honing would cause much of that. I have no experience w/ the Eschers, but that's essentially why you have to dilute with coticules.

Thanks! I have some experience with a blue/green Escher, but not much. I picked it up well after I got my first J-Nat, it never had a chance.

All this talk on J-nats really is not helping my HAD. I'm just now getting to learn my coti's and eschers/thuri's

I guess eventually I will probably give in.....sigh

Top Bottom