What's new

Gillette Guard?

Here's an article from the Wall Street Journal about something from Gillette called the Guard. Says it's aimed at DE users. and is an 11 cent blade. Never heard of this one.

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-hom...azors-the-11-cent-blade?mod=family-love_money

In the article replies Cap'n Immaculate stated the following:
"Whatever. I use Schick Hydro 5 anyway. Gillette blows gerbils."

I did not know that that was a part of Gillette's master plan for shaving domination. It sounded odd to me :tongue_sm!

Interesting. I wonder if it will gain acceptance?

I suspect it will gain a quick acceptance for the same reason the Gillette Trac II did in the states: for the average shaver, it provides a superior shave.

We of this board tend to have a false notion that ever man using a DE razor was getting these wonderful great shaves, that their shaves were perfect, and blood free.

If no one ever taught you the proper way to use a DE razor (if you don't know the proper angle, to go slow, to use no pressure) you can get a consistently crappy shave from a DE razor.

I am inclined to think there were many men out there using a DE razor who got horrible shaves, and just accepted that is the way it had to be.

Thus when a razor came out that is pretty much idiot proof, they readily adapted it into their shaving routine.

Adding to the quick adaption rate for India, is the fact that there are a lot of very bad quality DE razors sold there, and quite a few horrific quality DE blades as well.

Note, that the vastly more expensive (when compared with the Gillette Guard) Gillette Vector (Indian version of the Gillette Atra) already has 13% market share in India.

In my opinion, if the price is right, and the Gillette Guard provides for a easy good quality shave, adoption will be rapid.

Last edited:
In my opinion, if the price is right, and the Gillette Guard provides for a easy good quality shave, adoption will be rapid.
That is of course the operative point. As with most things, if it is cheap and good, why not? However, at more twice the price of regular DE blades and competition from SuperMax, will adoption be so rapid? Perhaps, but it isn't a done deal in my mind as Indian consumers are quite price sensitive, given their average monthly income of less than $145 US.

Top Bottom