What's new

Klar Seifen Klassik Shaving Soap

Klar Seifen Klassik Shaving Soap

Phil at BullGoose was kind enough to send me a tin of this soap with my Simpsons Douglas order. I've used it only twice, so I'll keep my observations brief. If you're familiar with this one, please add your thoughts.

KSK comes in a 110 gram round, somewhat larger than your standard 80g Trumpers round. It is a straight cylinder with no bevels or notable molding -- smaller in diameter and taller than your typical soap rounds from other makers. The tin that it comes in is medium-to-light gauge and in my view is not ideal as a permanent storage method. With some shaking and tapping, you can dislodge the soap from the tin and put it in your vessel of choice.

It lathers easily and well, producing a contemporary-type lather (cf. Speick, Irisch Moos) that is thick and creamy, with a tight structure and notable gloss. It has good cushion and good slip. As do other modern-type soaps, it takes a bit of work to rinse it completely clean, and it does leave some lingering scent on my skin. (I'm going to check with Phil to see whether the Klar Rasierwasser has this same scent; if so, I wouldn't be averse to purchasing that eventually.)

As to scent, it is strong, dry and crisp, with predominant woods, a bit of spiciness, and some leather. I can offer three points of reference: (1) L'Occitane Cade soap, (2) the Mitchum deodorant stick that I used years ago (not sure if they're still using the original scent, but that's a nearly identical match as I remember it), and (3) for those not familiar with 1 or 2, I'd describe it more conceptually as evocative of a department store, where you get the crisp starched fabrics, wood paneling, leather goods, and a bit of carry over from the fragrance desk.

I'm going to stay with this one for a few days to form a more complete opinion, but at first blush it's a good product that should appeal to gents who like a contemporary-type soap with a pronounced masculine fragrance.

Thanks to Phil for his generosity!

Regards,
Doug

It's been a while since I used MWF with any regularity, but I would put them in different camps. Klar lather is more dense, glossy and slick -- all of which together I characterize as a "contemporary" type soap. I'd group Klar more with Speick, Irisch Moos, or perhaps Tabac.

Recently acquire a tin of this off BST and aside from its scent that Doug so perfectly described, I immediately connected its lathering and shave characteristics to MWF. This and the Klassik aftershave are superb. BTW: Doug, keep up your reviews: You're really good at it!

How does this compare to Klar Kabinett? which is FAR cheaper

I was under the impression that it is just the scent

How does this compare to Klar Kabinett? which is FAR cheaper

I was under the impression that it is just the scent

They are two completely different soaps.

Klar Kabinett Soap Ingredients:

Sodium Cocoate, Potassium Cocoate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Stearate, Aqua, Cocoamidoproprl Betaine,Soyamide DEA, Parfum,Sodium Chloride,Amino-Tris (methylene phosphomic acid) Tetrasodium EDTA, Sodium Hydroxide, Potassium Hydroxyde, CI 77891, Geraniol, Benzyl Salicylate,Citronellol,Eugenol

Klar Rasierseife Klassik Ingredients:

Sodium Cocoate, Potassium Cocoate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Stearate, Aqua, Cocoamidoproprl Betaine,Soyamide DEA, Parfum, Sodium Chloride, Beta Alamine, Diacetic Acid, Trisodium salt, Sodium Hydroxide, Linalool,Limonen, Benzylbenzoate, Coumarin

The Kabinett soap comes in a 500g block (actually two 250g blocks) and the Klar Klassik comes in a 110g tin. The scents of the two soaps are quite different as well...the Kabinett soap is Rose scented while the Klar Klassik has a spicey citrus scent with a leather note.

I hope this helps.

Top Bottom