What's new

Help! I have spots on my new razor!

I have only used this razor once. It's a brand new Dovo stainless steel. I dried it thoroughly after the first use and have kept it in my sock drawer away from moisture. I opened it up the other day and noticed two spots on it that were not previously on it. If it's rust I don't understand how it can get on it in less than a week, especially if it's stainless steel. Can anyone tell me what this is from and how I can safely get it off without damaging anything. Any help would be appreciated.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

Depending on the quality of the stainless steel, it can rust. Normally, true stainless steel doesn't rust.

Maybe the razor wasn't completely dry when you put it away or you might had wet socks on it? That's all I can think of. If the rust is far from the edge, it's not so bad. If it's on the edge, that's bad.

Make sure you dry the razor completly after each shave. Also, you could give your razor 5-10 laps on the strop to be sure the edge is dry. Some use the linen side only to dry the razor.

If you want to be 100% sure, you would need to oil the blade with mineral oil, not vegetable oil.

I use Flitz or Mass metal polish to remove small water stains or spots. The sooner you fix it the better, as it can turn to %&! rust. As careful as I try to be I end up with some every so often. Post a pic of what you ailment your razor has, and we can probably give you better guidance.

I was back east over the summer and it was very humid and I ended up with some spots overnight, although it was a high carbon steel razor.

Top Bottom