What's new

Still asking dumb newbie questions

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I am a couple weeks into shaving with my Gillette adjustable slim. The last 3 days I have done my entire shave on 5. No problems there. My first question....when I am ready to dial it up more aggressive, should I just do that for my 1st pass and then dial it back down, or is it safe to do a 2nd and 3rd pass on that more aggressive setting. Blade angle and pressure are not a problem for me at all.... "THANKS to all of your advice and Mantics video."

2nd question....I tried a different blade out of my samplers today. It is in a white box with a blue label that says made in Israel. Is that the blade people are referring to when they talk about Israeli's? I was very impressed with its cut and was extremely smooth on my face.

Have not touched a cartridge or disposable in exactly 14 days. :thumbup:

If you want to dial it up, give it a try. You should know after a few passes if your face can handle that for an entire shave. Since it is an adjustable, you can figure out what number works best for you depending on how much hair you have left to cut off.

For example, I start WTG on a 4, then do two XTG's on 3, and then a final ATG and touch ups on 1.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
There are no rules on the dial. You can leave it, turn it up or down...

Crystal are the blades, yes!

Set the dial for whatever setting works for your beard/skin combination also factoring the blade you are using. When I use an adjustable I have noticed that I may have to dial up or down depending on the blades.

Enjoy your shaves,

Doug

Have not touched a cartridge or disposable in exactly 14 days. :thumbup:[/QUOTE]

Congrats on 2 weeks of DE shaving. Keep up the good work and you will find that the shave experience gets better over time.:shaving:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Have not touched a cartridge or disposable in exactly 14 days. :thumbup:

Congrats on 2 weeks of DE shaving. Keep up the good work and you will find that the shave experience gets better over time.:shaving:[/QUOTE]

Thank you, I was a bit nervous about starting this..........actually it is quite easy and a man can actually enjoy shaving again. Of course I will have to use a disposable in a couple of weeks. I have to go to the Carolinas for work and I do not want to check a bag. Hooray for TSA. :thumbdown

As a reminder, adjust the settings before you close the doors. If you change settings during your shaving experience, open the doors first, adjust the setting, close the doors and shave away.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Thanks for the reminder. I try to be conscious about that, but have forgotten.

I vary the settings on my adjustables with each pass. For the FB and slim my first pass is at a 7 (WTG) and the next passes are at 9 except for my neck where the final ATG pass is at 7. However, if a blade is very rough (for me) I will stay at the lower setting. For me, everything depends on how it feels on my face.

Top Bottom