Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 59

Thread: Edwin Jagger DE89L appreciation thread

  1. #1

    Default Edwin Jagger DE89L appreciation thread

    Well, the title says it all.

    Lets hear from all you DE89 owners (doesn't have to be an "L").

    I'm a new wet-shaver of about a month or so. After having used the oh-so-unrefined-chainsaw-shave with an electric for roughly 15 years or so, I decided to learn to do it right.

    I actually jumped right into straights, and it wasn't too bad. I got a decent shave if a bit uncomfortable (I'm sure I could've gotten better over time), but I'm not looking to make a hobby from my morning shave. There's just more effort involved in maintenance than I'm willing to live with for now.
    So, enter the DE...

    ..After a fair amount of research I settled on the EJ DE89L.

    After only two shaves I can honestly say that I'm getting as smooth and comfortable a shave as I've ever had. And I expect with a bit more practice I'll get even better.

    As far as my choice of razor, I couldn't be happier. The thing is beautiful and feels like it'll outlast me by a couple of generations. I know that I have almost no frame of reference, but then I really don't need one to know that I am very pleased with this razor. Looking at the prices of a lot of razors I am doubly happy with my choice and don't expect that I'll want to try any others for some time if ever.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Eastern Canada
    Posts
    2,391
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cswann1 View Post
    Looking at the prices of a lot of razors I am doubly happy with my choice and don't expect that I'll want to try any others for some time if ever.
    Give it time my friend....give it time.
    -Denis

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cswann1 View Post
    Well, the title says it all.

    Lets hear from all you DE89 owners (doesn't have to be an "L").

    I'm a new wet-shaver of about a month or so. After having used the oh-so-unrefined-chainsaw-shave with an electric for roughly 15 years or so, I decided to learn to do it right.

    I actually jumped right into straights, and it wasn't too bad. I got a decent shave if a bit uncomfortable (I'm sure I could've gotten better over time), but I'm not looking to make a hobby from my morning shave. There's just more effort involved in maintenance than I'm willing to live with for now.
    So, enter the DE...

    ..After a fair amount of research I settled on the EJ DE89L.

    After only two shaves I can honestly say that I'm getting as smooth and comfortable a shave as I've ever had. And I expect with a bit more practice I'll get even better.

    As far as my choice of razor, I couldn't be happier. The thing is beautiful and feels like it'll outlast me by a couple of generations. I know that I have almost no frame of reference, but then I really don't need one to know that I am very pleased with this razor. Looking at the prices of a lot of razors I am doubly happy with my choice and don't expect that I'll want to try any others for some time if ever.
    Great post title! I have an EJ-DE89L myself and love it. I had previously used a Parker 96r, and two merkurs before finding this beauty. It gives such a smooth shave that I wonder if I'm really shaving at all. It looks beautiful as well and is just a great razor for the price. There is an EJ-DE89 fan club in the community forums that gives a great deal of info on the razor, blades to go with it, maintenance, etc. I found shark blades work great with it. What have you been using?
    Cold shaving Enthusiast

  4. #4
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by armykunin View Post
    There is an EJ-DE89 fan club in the community forums that gives a great deal of info on the razor, blades to go with it, maintenance, etc. I found shark blades work great with it. What have you been using?
    Thanks for the info. So far I've used a Derby (got a pack with the razor) and a Isreali Crystal Platinum. The razor is so smooth that it's tough to tell the difference between them. I'm sure over time I'll develop a feel for different blades.

    I also have a couple of packs of the German Wilkinsons that Wal-Mart is carrying that I want to try, and a B&B member, tchmango has generously offered to send me a few blades to try, which should be arriving any day.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Canada, AB
    Posts
    222

    Default

    I started wet shaving around April, when I stumbled across a Red Tip, although I did not know a Red Tip from a tooth fairy at that time. Then I was the recipient of a most generous PIF which included a EJ89L.

    Since then I've tried an Executive Adjustable, and a tech, but I keep going back to the EJ.

    At the risk of repeating myself, I really love my EJ.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    2,019
    Images
    2

    Default

    I started with a DE89 in June. Used it exclusively for about 2 months. Now I haven't used it much lately. Too many others to try. I did use it a couple of weeks ago and got a great shave.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Annapolis, MD
    Posts
    2,073

    Default

    Stopping in to show some love for a great razor.
    -Matt-

  8. #8

    Default Does an EJ86 Count ?

    I have an EJ86 which is the black handled version of the EJ89. Does that count ???

    I bought it a few months ago from the English Shaving Company when they had their "Free shipping" promotion.

    The EJ86 is my best looking razor and gives a fine shave. I keep toying with the idea of buying the EJ87 so as to have the matching set.

    I used it this morning, and yesterday, and the day before. Got some fine shaves !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EJ-DE86.jpg  

  9. #9
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Masterblaster View Post
    I have an EJ86 which is the black handled version of the EJ89. Does that count ???
    Hey, it's close enough for the girls I hang with

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Somerville, MA
    Posts
    3,604

    Default

    Got a EJ Black Handle razor about a month ago.

    It is so smooth!

    I'm getting DFS and BBS shaves with little effort.

    The Muhle head is very forgiving and works at my difficult spots (under the nose, chin and lower neck) that result in no nicks or weepers.

    Great built quality and sure is pretty.
    David

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Helena, MT
    Posts
    881
    Images
    16

    Default

    I have been selling some of my unused razors here on the BST so I can buy the DE89L. I can't wait to get it!!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Helena, MT
    Posts
    881
    Images
    16

    Default

    Where is the community forum? I want to find the de89l fan club? Any help would be appreciated!

  13. #13
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MilkyLee View Post
    Where is the community forum? I want to find the de89l fan club? Any help would be appreciated!
    I'm not having any luck finding this one either

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Grunthal, Manitoba, Canada
    Posts
    412

    Default

    I love my EJ89L too! I bought a few vintage razors and didn't like them at all I always went back to my EJ. Now it's the only razor I own! I did order a slant and am wait for it to get here so I can try it out.

  15. #15

    Default

    Is the Edwin Jagger DE89's head the same as the Jagger Chatsworth Barley Classic's head?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Plattsmouth, Nebraska
    Posts
    4,666

    Default

    Had an aluminum Tech, a 40s Super Speed and a 47 Aristocrat to begin with. Then I got the DE89L, the RAD killer! Sold the Tech, use the Super Speed for travel, and thinking of selling the Aristocrat. I use my 89L with Super Iridums and am not looking back!
    John

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Old Hampshire
    Posts
    897

    Default

    I love my '89L so much I just bought the dedicated razor stand for it (shame it's stuck in the sorting office until after the weekend) - great shaver, and a great looker too
    Arise you shavers from your slumbers, arise you prisoners of carts

  18. #18
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by john parker View Post
    I use my 89L with Super Iridums and am not looking back!
    I just checked my mail a few minutes ago and there was my gift-package from tchmango. Among others is a Super Iridium which after reading so much about, I have a feeling that it'll be my bade-o-choice too.

    Internet, I did a little looking and I couldn't find information, one way or another, but just looking at pics I'd say it's the same head. And wow, that is one handsome razor.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Grunthal, Manitoba, Canada
    Posts
    412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by internet View Post
    Is the Edwin Jagger DE89's head the same as the Jagger Chatsworth Barley Classic's head?
    All EJ head are exactly the same (from what I can tell) just different handles.

  20. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cswann1 View Post
    I'm not having any luck finding this one either
    Quote Originally Posted by MilkyLee View Post
    Where is the community forum? I want to find the de89l fan club? Any help would be appreciated!
    There is an EJ89 social club that I will join once I've been here for 45 day. I'm a big fan of this razor. I purchased the EJ89L a few weeks ago and love it. It's gorgeous, highly effective and solidly built. Very reasonably priced too, imho.
    Dan

Similar Threads

  1. Edwin Jagger DE89L
    By Duncanh48 in forum Double Edged Razors
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 06-13-2010, 09:39 AM
  2. Edwin Jagger DE89L~ Discussion thread
    By Dave12345 in forum Double Edged Razors
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-22-2009, 09:50 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
By accessing Badger & Blade, you agree to abide by the Terms of Usage. You can find our Privacy Policy here.
Once submitted, any posts, images, or content become the property of Badger & Blade.
Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.