What's new

Edwin Jagger DE89L appreciation thread

I tried several vintage Gillettes, some were better than others. The fatboy worked best for me, but once I got the EJ, I stopped using all the others. That was good, because I could really evaluate the blade part of the equation, and focus on prep, technique, etc. I sold all my other razors, and I'm not itchin' to buy more. MAYBE a cooncatbob handle.....:thumbup: My 3 favorite blades are: Super Iridiums, Gillette Sharpedge and Superthin. I THINK the Sharpedge may win.

I may buy one soon. Any suggestion of a reasonable US `based dealer?

I bought mine from Amazon.com. I buy a lot of things there because of the competitive pricing and excellent customer service.

BTW..... RAD killer seems to be a recurring phrase in this thread:thumbup::biggrin1::thumbup:

Well, the title says it all.

. Looking at the prices of a lot of razors I am doubly happy with my choice and don't expect that I'll want to try any others for some time if ever.:thumbup:

I love my "Differential Equation" razor, the DE 89L, but I also remember saying the same thing as you when I first got my first Slant. :lol:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I have the DE89 with smooth Chrome handle and the DE87 with Ivory handle. They are both EXCELLENT shavers and the Chrome finish is simply amazing.:thumbup1:

I have an EJ86 which is the black handled version of the EJ89. Does that count ???

I bought it a few months ago from the English Shaving Company when they had their "Free shipping" promotion.

The EJ86 is my best looking razor and gives a fine shave. I keep toying with the idea of buying the EJ87 so as to have the matching set.

I used it this morning, and yesterday, and the day before. Got some fine shaves !
I would say the Muhle R89 counts too (same head, different handle). I like mine better than the Merkur I was using, though it's not bad. great shaves.:thumbup1:

I have one regular 89L, and two with the Georgian handle (one black one tan). I dropped the tan one and cracked the handle, but the head is undamaged. I'm now looking around for a nice handle. Maybe I'll try Cooncat Bob!

The razor shaves magnificently. Smooth and comfortable, yet oh so effective. It's still not my only razor though. I like a rotation because you remain aware of the differences between razors and appreciate them for their unique qualities. If you stick to just one razor, you get great shaves, but you get so used to its particular characteristics that you stop being surprised by how good it is. A rotation provides a nice variety of experience.

Whenever the 89L comes round in my rotation, I get to enjoy the "thrill of the first time." I invariably say to myself "Now I remember why I like this razor so much"

What a crazy hobby this is! I think I have officially entered geekdom. Sigh.

I believe the heads are identical. So much love for the EJ but less so for the Muhle it seems. I have the Muhle R89 and love it. Is it worth it to by the EJ too? Is the EJ better?

What a crazy hobby this is! I think I have officially entered geekdom. Sigh.

Hey, like the song goes...."If it makes you happy, it can't be that bad":thumbup1:

And yes, look into a replacement handle from Bob. I'm seriously considering a custom handle myself.

Is it worth it to by the EJ too? Is the EJ better?

I think the head is the same, or at least my brief research leads me to that conclusion. So I'd say no, it's probably not worth having both. is the EJ better? In my opinion yes, simply because the Muhle is roughly double the price of the EJ.

Top Bottom