What's new

Fedora Help

Ok I had bought a super cheap fedora at walmart a while back. I like it. I decided to upgrade (a little). I wanted this hat.....

View attachment 125763

Got it in the mail today, and the brim is curled all the way around the hat? Is that normal? Do I have to shape it? Dont really want to "bend" it if I am going to have to send it back. Can anyone give me some advice? I'd appreciate it.

It's probably a snap brim, it's designed for you to snap the brim down where you want it to.

I have three fedoras and they are all like that. For more information, check out the site:
www.fedoralounge.com

Awesome forum with awesome people.:thumbup1:

Nice hat, I would love to wear one but I'm a little too self concious to be a trend setter in that respect. I was just at Disney in Florida, I could have used a summer hat or straw type golf hat for the sun and my thinning hair but my own insecurity prevented me from pulling the trigger on one.

Do you think it's an age thing, would it be as noticied for an older guy to wear one as opposed to a 20 something or my 44 year old self.

I think it is all about "how" you wear any hat. Whether you are 20 or 50 if you don't feel comfortable in it you won't look comfortable in. I wanted a fedora (and some flat hats) my wife thought I looked good in them. I don't really care how I look to anyone else, if she likes and says it looks good then I trust. I have actually had alot of sincere (hopefully) comments.

Well said about feeling comfortable to look comfortable. Maybe more people want to wear these and other fashions but lack the courage like myself. Maybe thats where the compliments come from that you are getting. Still a nice hat and I hope you enjoy.

I have 3 Fedoras one Porkpie 1 Equador Panama Water Drop Fedora. 6 or 7 Newsboy/Ivey/Flat Cap. Mostly pick em up off eBay. Got some Nice Vintage hats. My teenage daughters hate them. I wear with confidence and get lots of compliments on the stylish looks. Put one on and let the attitude angle!

I just curious because I like the way the Fedoras look (don't wear one), but what do you wear them with and when (social situations, etc)?

I just curious because I like the way the Fedoras look (don't wear one), but what do you wear them with and when (social situations, etc)?

I think a lot has to do with what you do for a living and where you live. I'm a lawyer, just outside of NYC, and on every sidewalk, train or bus you'll see a man - perhaps two - wearing a fedora - or a straw hat in the summer. Not like it was years ago when every man, rich, poor or in-between wore one, but here, you don't stand out in a crowd if you wear one. And I think you see more fedoras worn among lawyers (I know many who do), bankers and the like, but that's just a casual observation

If I'm wearing a tie; I wear an overcoat and a fedora, whether to the office, court or going out in the evenings.

I can't speak for everyone but I wear a Straw Panama Hat in the Spring and Summer. The old rule of thumb is that one does not wear Panama hats after Labor Day. I switch to a felt fedora during the fall and winter months.

I wear Panama hats with a suit and tie or with blue jeans and a button-down shirt, but I think felt hats should be worn only with a suit, overcoat or jacket (wind breaker).

So, really there is a time in the early fall where I don't wear any hat because it is not cold enough for a jacket and it is after Labor Day. YMMV

It's true, you have to wear the hat, because if the hat wears you it's not good at all.

My rule for fur felt is pretty much collared shirt and dark shoes. Summer straw is much more casual, and works with shorts and sneakers.

I wear a fedora every day. Not many people here in Sydney wear them but that trend seems to be changing. My son also wears a fedora when he is out with me (see my avatar).

My main everyday hat is a Akubra Sydney

Its funny how my love for all things vintage started with hats and is now slowly moving towards a straight.

Top Bottom