What's new

My Dad Just Shaved With A De That I Sent Him!!!!!

So, I got to talking to my dad a few months ago about getting into shaving with a DE. He seemed to be quite interested, as he's been complaining about shaving with those disposable BICS, how they're dull on arrival, pull, grab, yank, hurt, and leave you like you've never shaved in the first place.

My first sight of shaving as a youngin was of my dad with his black SuperSpeed, standing at the sink with him. Somehow, like many others (due to unavailable DE blades I suspect) he went down the broad road of multi-blade disposables.

On Friday I shipped him a box with:
A 1954 (Late 40s style) Gillette SuperSpeed (ebayed, cleaned, and oiled)
An EJ Best Badger Brush (the one I had been using, until I got a Super Badger)
2 packs of Feather blades
A tub of Mama Bear's Rosemary & Mint Soap

He called me an told me that he got the package today, and that he would be lathering up shortly. I asked if he'd ever used a brush before, and he said that he had. His Dad used to lather them up with REGULAR HAND SOAP! He was looking forward to it.

I just got off the phone with him. His first words were, "Best shave I've had in YEARS!"

He continued to tell me that he didn't nick himself at all, and it just mowed right through the stubble. He also said that there were patches that hadn't been smooth on his face in years, and now he finally got em knocked down! And that soap smelled so good, and was slick to shave with!

The whole time I was thinking...gosh, I hope it shaves him smooth, and that he doesn't get burn, and that he doesn't get turned off from it, etc. Looks like quite the opposite. I mean, who after 15 years, grabs a DE and gets a smooth shave without nicks?

Is there a name for someone with the "gift" of great shaving?

That's my Dad!

I'm envious. I can't convince Dad that the DE is better than his Sensor. And he was using a DE when he taught me how to shave.

I remember as a kid my dad used to use a Wilkinson Sword DE with WS blades. He used a badger brush and some nice smelling hard soap. I think it was the cheap (but very good) Boots own brand soap.

He never taught me to shave, it just kind of happened. I used his DE because it was the only razor in the house. So my first shaving experience was with a DE at age 15 or so. I used it for a couple of years til i left home and got myself a cartridge razor.

Then over the years it all disappeared and he now uses a CackIII. They came to visit me this past weekend so I took my dad to the shop in the evening and gave him the full cut throat treatment.

How weird is that?

Never been taught to shave and now shaving your own dad with a straight (well, shavette)!!!

He loved it!!

I gave him a tube of Mr Taylors shave cream, a tube of Sandalwood balm, a nice little badger brush and a packet of Derbys. I told him to dig out the DE and have a play. I got a call from him last night. He told me he couldn't believe he had gone to a CackIII. He said "I only got the little bloody plastic thing because it was quicker but now I'm retired I'm gonna take some time over my shaves and enjoy them again".

Yay!!!!

Cheers

Mat

Good goin', Dan! :biggrin:

Great way to re-connect on a familiar level! :thumbup1:

I'm pretty sure that I shaved with that same Gillette razor... back in the day! :wink: Before that, I had used my mom's Gillette DE to remove the "caterpillar" which had started to grow on my upper lip. :rolleyes:

Wetshaving is just too good to keep to ourselves! :badger:

Tchau,
chop-chop

Top Bottom