What's new

Best Sipping Bourbon/Ten Whiskey/ Sour Mash

Another vote for Wild Turkey Rare Breed. Makers Mark, Bulleit and 100 proof Wild Turkey will do just fine in a pinch!

Weller's, Old Fitzgerald are "wheated" Bourbons and Bourbon is the best value for whiskies in the 'States. Buy some of those small "airline" bottles and start sippin'.

Thus far I have only tried the cheap ones: Jim Beam

No Blantons, Bakers, or Willett fans? Those 3 are my favorites lately...

Just got back from the L-store with a botte off Bulleit (apparently pronounced "bullet") and have found my first glass very smooth and flavorful. Good call B&B, good call.

Amazingly, some of the best bourbons you've been suggested come from the same distilleries as those "cheap" bourbons you mention. Jim Beam Distilleries makes 4 very nice bourbons, Booker's, Baker's, Basil Hayden's, and Knob Creek. They all have very distinct flavors and can, as a group serve as a fine tasting party.

I absolutely love Bulleit, it is a great value. But Blanton's is probably my favorite out of all I've tried.

Thus starts the WAD (Whiskey Acquisition Disorder). The next step is the cigars and the CAD.

Went to the grocery today and I chose maker's mark. They had maker's mark, knob creek and Woodford reserve.

I'm quite enjoying the maker's mark, and I think I'll have to venture out into more american whiskeys. Thanks all for your suggestions.

My drinking friend is making me recommend Gentleman Jack as a sipping Tennessee whisky. I don't mind it but he thinks very highly of it.

The comment on American whiskeys is especially of note when you realize that Scotch whiskey and Irish whisky is aged in used American oak barrels used for Bourbon first!

B

bralee275

I prefer Genltleman Jack. I pour a double shot is a heavy, glass whiskey sipping cup. It is important to drink it straight up at room temperature. Add about a half teaspoon of room temperature water to make the whiskey open up and ENJOY!!!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Hello All,

I know there is a thread on the "smoothest bourbon" on the forum, but my question is a bit different. Thus far I have only tried the cheap ones: Jim Beam, Jack Daniels, and Evan Williams (the cheap one). I do enjoy scotch whisky, so I thought I might try some better sipping american whiskeys.

I enjoy the sour-ish flavor of jack daniels, but am looking for something a bit more complex and well rounded. Is that sour flavor distinctive of a sour mash? I read that sour mash makes the drink sweeter...but I don't think jack daniels is very sweet.

Any american whiskeys you would recommend with a similar flavor to jack daniels but more complex? If not similar to jack daniels, any gold standard american whiskeys that I should start with (made for sipping, not mixing)?

beachape:
For me...I tried, was 'surprised', interested and really like George Dickel No. 12Tennessee 'Sippin' Whisky .

Very smooth and full-bodied when 'Sippin' and this Whisky has a hint of maple sweetness and a touch of pepper. Lastly, in my opinion, it is a 'touch' of spice and is aromatic with a medium-dry finish.

By far...the best and 'smoothest' Sour Mash Whisky I've had...best sipped by itself or with a splash of water (I like it 'on-the-rocks' and let the cubes melt :a26:before 'Sippin'). However, it does mix well and I like it best with Cranapple Juice ... especially when 'paired' with a Cuban Cohiba Siglo III Cigar :a39:

full

PS George Dickel No. 12 Tennessee 'Sippin' Whisky image is courtesy of B & B Member Castlecraver :thumbup1:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=74005

Christopher :badger:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a big fan of Gentlemans Jack and Jack Daniel's Single Barrel, currently got a bottle of Silver Select - highly recommended!

I'm a fan of smoothness in a bourbon sippin' whiskey . . . and two very, very smooth bourbons not mentioned yet are 1792 Ridgemont Reserve and Four Roses Small Batch.

For a little more spice, caramel, and character, I like Knob Creek and Woodword Reserve.

NANP™

I'm going to have to say Gentleman Jack as well. It has the distinctive Jack taste, but is oh so much smoother than the old No.7.

Thanks all for your suggestions. I think I'll have to do more exploration. Will probably save me money compared to expanding my small collection of scotch.

Another vote for Dickel #12 in the tan bottle. In terms of bourbons I like Russel's Reserve and Buffalo Trace, but to get the best sipping American whiskey you just have to remember...

Water's for washin', Dickel's for drinkin'

Picked up a bottle of Russell's Reserve 6yr Rye for $12.99 after 5 dollar rebate. Tastes pretty good. Especially considering the price.

I find myself (and the wife) going back to Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 year time and time again. There are times we will have 4-5 different bottles of bourbon in the house and this is the one we seem to keep buying. Not super expensive, but not cheap either (~$50/bottle?). Well worth it in my opinion.

Top Bottom