What's new

What Does Your Cell Phone Say About You ???

What Does Your Phone Say About You?

Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:08PM EDT
See Comments (632)
I've featured many phones here on Yahoo! Tech, most of them created to appeal to a younger, style-conscious generation that wants both form and function packaged in a good looking phone. After all, phones are an extension of our personality and the reason we pay a lot of moolah to have them covered in Swarovski crystals. That's not to say we solely judge a phone by it's cover. This generation of tech-savvy consumers has all the shopping comparison tools they need to make an informed decision. Add tech blogs, forums, and techie friends to the mix, and young consumers will have enough reasons to think twice before plunking down $300 on a phone, just because it's cute.
A recent survey conducted by Neilsen Media Research confirms what we long suspected: cell phones do say a lot about our personality. According to Neilsen Media Research associate director Mr. Jody Loughlin, "The type of mobile you're seen with could even be more important than whether you're with...one of the other major carriers." Most of us know that mobile phone companies will do anything to get their phones into celebrity hands as a tactic to make them more desirable. Forbes recently shed some light on a practice called "celebrity seeding" where companies gift actors with their products hoping to garner media attention in return. Nothing new here, but lately I've seen celebs pictured with more than two gadgets in their hands, sometimes even three. Blogs like Geeksugar never fail at keeping us guessing what phones celebs are sporting on their regular column called "Match The Celeb with the Cell Phone."
So I've combined what Neilsen Media Research and Dawn Bratton say about phone stereotypes, and added a little celebrity phone sightings to find out if what they say is true. What do you think?

Do you fall into any of these categories:
Motorola Magenta RAZR: Fashion conscious, under 24, fun seekers, individualistic.The "It" girls must have phone.
Celebrities who have one: Maria Sharapova, Paris Hilton, Denise Richards, Nicole Richie, Rachael Bilson, and Mischa Barton.
Dolce & Gabbana V3i RAZR: Only 1,000 of these were made so this phone screams "I'm One of a Kind."
Celebrities who have one:
Sharon Stone, Hillary Duff, Reese Witherspoon
Chocolate LG Pink: Favorite with moms/stay-at-home parents, success driven, harmony seekers.
Celebrities who have one: Rihanna, Mariah Carey, Jessica Alba, Snoop Dog, Hugh Hefner, Girls Next Door.
Sidekick 3: You can be exclusive and you like to have people wonder what you are doing at all times.
Celebrities who have one:
Hillary Duff, Paris Hilton, Lindsey Lohan
Nokia: Family-minded, middle aged managers, balance seekers, health conscious.
Celebrities who have one: Jennifer Lopez, Mary J. Blige
Sony Ericsson: Ambitious young men, professionals, success driven, individualistic
Celebrities who have one: Robbie Williams, Helena Christensen

Samsung: Young women, career focused, success driven, fun seekers
Celebrities who have one: Leonardo DiCaprio, Allison Janney
Blackberry: You are into all of the tech things and like new things. Carrying a PDA also means you may be demanding but only because you are a multi-tasker. You are extremely organized.
Celebrities who have one: Jaime Fox, Britney Spears, Lauren Conrad, Jennifer Aniston, Jessica Simpson, Adrian Grenier, and Tina Fey.
Treo: You are into all of the tech things and like new things. Carrying a PDA also means you may be demanding but only because you are a multi-tasker. You are extremely organized.
Celebrities who have one: Mathew Broderick, Peter Gabriel
Could the stereotypes be true? What phone do you have?

SO WHAT CELL PHONE DO YOU HAVE AND WHAT RINGTONES DO YOU HAVE ?

mark tssb

I have a Samsung, which means I'm a young women, career focused, success driven, fun seekers. Anyone want my number?

I have a Nokia because it came with free SatNav and a decent deal. What does that say about me then? Tightwad?

Gareth

If it rings I answer. I don't want it doing anything else for me.

1. I'd rather take pictures and movies with my camera.
2. I'd rather surf the internet with my computer.
3. I'd rather e-mail on my computer too.
4. I'd rather listen to music with either my car's sound system or at home..not thru my cell phone.
5. "Joke of the Day"...tell it to me don't text it...please.

...oh yes, I do use my cell phone for date and time.

I have a Samsung flip phone. It was free with my service from Cingular. I only use it to make or receive calls. I do not have/use voicemail, text mesg, email, internet, games, or any of that other nonsense.

There was an article on the BBC news the other day about some company bringing out an "Over 50's" phone, with big numbers and nothing more than phone calls and text messages. I'm 55 and it sounds right up my street!

Gareth

I have a Samsung flip phone. It was free with my service from Cingular. I only use it to make or receive calls. I do not have/use voicemail, text mesg, email, internet, games, or any of that other nonsense.

That's a BIG "ditto" for me... and, unlike their commercials, I get dropped-calls quite often.

My ringtone? M.C. Hammer's "Can't Touch This"

as a interent manager..i use my phone a bunch for work...calls off of the ad comes directly to my phone and i receive a message when i have a new lead that comes in...

now randy has a blackberry or something like that and he has to be in contstant contact...poor guy...

but after hours...i don't want to to talk but to my family and neighbors...

mark tssb

Top Bottom