What's new

First open-comb shave

Just had my first open-comb shave today with 30's Gillette frankenrazor - a Goodwill head on an ABC handle (see: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=166493&highlight=Goodwill). HOLY COW!!!!! What a great shave! One fantastic shave and I'm sold on open combs. Hopefully it wasn't just a fluke. I put off trying the razor because, frankly, the teeth on that thing scared me and I had heard that open combs were on the aggressive side. It only took a couple of strokes and I got my bearings with it and was home free to a DFS++ shave. I'd hate to think it would surplant the '66 Slim I recently got and my trusty old '55 SS, but if there's a chance for consistently fantastic shaves, then so be it. Gotta go with what works.

H

Man! you should of seen me on my first open comb have when it got to the point of shaving my head. :w00t: I had always used a solid bar and thought i was getting a good shave till I used an open comb. But with that my full face and head shaves take longer at about 30 mins.

I had been shaving with a Fat Handle Gillette Tech exclusively. Recently I acquired a Bob's Razors Bull Mastiff Deluxe handle, and I asked him to go ahead and include a NEW short comb head. I shaved with it once and had a few knicks under my lower lip from buffing and I had several weepers on my neck. It kind of scared me off a little. I put the Tech head on Bob's handle and had great shaves for a week or two.

This morning I was ready to load a new blade, so I loaded it into the NEW head and had a great shave. In fact, it is 12 hours since I shaved and I still have a BBS shave on my face and the stubble on my neck is not nearly as noticeable as it normally is this time in the evening. I'm really learning to appreciate the subtleties of technique and "figuring out" each razor. I'll be using my open comb tomorrow.

Top Bottom