What's new

Silvertips?

I have had, and have some now, fine/best badger hair brushes that i use along side my trusty omega boar brush, but have never owned a silvertip, whats the big differance in these brushes, and are they worth paying more for, as i am contemplating buying one, but want to know if they are worth shelling out for, and what would the brush give me compared to my finest bdger hair brushes?

I recently got my first silvertip about 5-6 months ago. The softness makes a huge difference. I ordered a restored brush, with a grade a silvertip from the golden nib. Never going back to regular badger brush again. I might try a boar though, to have on hand for fun.

As already mentioned the softness will be noticeable. If are looking to increase softness of your shaving brush, then go for it. You will not be disappointed to pay that extra. It's all relate it to personal taste.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Softness comes to mind. A best badger will have more backbone than a Silvertip generally (YMMV)... I love my silvertips and got some with heaps of backbone so I'm happy with those. I tried the best badger and it's something that you have to try yourself...

If you want to do it on the cheap side, I'd recommend that you get an old knot and re-knot it yourself.

Softness for sure but one other major advantage of Highgrade silvertips is water retention.
The best of the best comes from under the neck area of winter prime pelts, these hairs are hollow and maintain the animals body heat in that area.
Badgers do not hibernate so it keeps them warm on those cold sub-zero nights whilst out and about, doing whatever badgers do.
correction, in some locals they do hibernate

Last edited:
Thanks guys, that's great info to have, may well pull the trigger on one soon, spent a bit this month already, so will keep my eyes open and source the web for some deals, thanks again.

Another difference is that with many premium brushes (but by no means all) you get a much denser brush. This can be good or bad, depending on your needs, but its another factor that does come into play when you put up the big bucks.

Top Bottom