What's new

new adventures in shaving

Hi folks. I just posted this to my favorite internet dating site and just had to share it with you too! I'm so very pleased to have found out how to take better care of my face... woo hoo! Thank you all for sharing.

"There I was: walking through Costco having just checked out Walmart and Amazon.com... shopping razor cartridges for the Gillette triple blade Sensor, and/or the new 5 bladed samurai sword of the shaving arms race...the Fusion.

Just a note on my beard: It's tough. And my skin is very soft and sensitive. I think a lot of us fall into this category. I've been on the quest for the "perfect shave" for many years. Not only in closeness, but in comfort... meaning lack of nicks, cuts, and razor burn.

Holy mackerel! How have we (seemingly nearly every adult man and woman on the planet), somehow agreed to throw $2+ at the Gillette or another razor or "shaving goo" company every few days? I sat in church the other day and at a lull in the meeting thought "my goodness, I wonder how much money the Gillette Co. has made this morning off this very ward?"

So fast forward back to Costco...I walked out empty handed in disgust. There had to be a better way!

I began searching the Internet for an even better price on blade cartridges... $1.85?... and then we throw them away and they fill up our landfills?... I don't think so.

Then I found this link on google to the Badger & Blade. It is a forum dedicated to the art and science of shaving. I started reading and wow! The general consensus is that I can get a closer shave, with more comfort, and less nicks, cuts, and razor burn..... all for the price of a new or vintage safety razor, 17 cent blade, AND proper preparation.

Well the long and short of this post is:
Though I was skeptical, having believed that "those old things just tear your face up," the assertions of the people on that forum were right!

I called my parents and asked them to look for my grandfather's old Gillette. They found it, and it's a beauty! A 1957 Gillette super speed in mint condition.

I stopped off and bought a budget brush, blades, and shave soap on the way home, cleaned and sanitized the razor... and after some preparation, shaved. I followed the procedures outlined in the beginner section and WOW! THE BEST SHAVE OF MY LIFE! It was very close...much closer than my Sensor/Fusion ventures, no razor burn, and a slight nick because I broke the rules and pushed down with pressure to get a particularly odd spot on my very soft and sensitive neck. (One needs to let the razor blade do the work with very slight pressure.)

I've now purchased another old Gillette safety razor off eBay and have had similar results. There is a learning curve to this and it seems like getting the best shave of your life depends on ever increasing your skill and skin/beard preparation.

So take a safety razor for a spin... there really IS a better way.

Also you might check out this shaving video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjhIy9rgWQU

Our loved ones deserve the very best.... let's stop the razor arms race. Our grandparents really did know better..."

Welcome, Zippersmith!

Nice first post! :biggrin:

Yes, you'll find that there are many here with your skin and beard-type. Most often, you'll see the Merkur Slant/Feather blade suggested as the perfect solution for that combination. Since you already have a couple of nice razors (especially your Grandfather's!), I would recommend that you find some Feather blades. Or, since you're in the initial phase of your shaving experience, the Derby Extra blades might be a better choice for you, at this point in time. I think that you'll find that they are a bit more accessible than the Feather blades, and they work very well! :thumbup1:

See you around the board!

Tchau,
chop-chop

Nice post! I'm glad to hear of your success with DE shaving. I've got the same skin/beard type as you and am thinking of getting a slant, but have gotten some very good shaves with my Merkur HD and Gillette Slim Adjustable. I'll be trying out a Super Speed tonight. I usually use Feather and Israeli Personna blades.

Great first post!
Congratulations on doing your homework and getting a nice first shave... many don't.
Now the addictions begin in earnest... ;-)

Zipper, Welcome to B&B. Great first post. I have some of the same experiences. I too went to Costco to buy my $35 blade replacements for my Gillette Fusion. I said what am I doing. Found Mantic's videos, found this forum and as they say the rest i s history. Great to have you aboard. Will look for you around the board.:badger:

Top Bottom