What's new

Random Question - Shaving at the gym

So, I alternate mornings at home or at the gym. About a month ago I switched from a Fusion to a Muhle R89 and sampler pack. So far so good, I really like the razor. At home I use a badger brush and Proraso soap. At the gym, I've been using a tube a Proraso shaving cream. I know I could take the soap/brush to the gym, but I am looking for something a bit easier there. I'm not liking the Proraso shaving cream too much with finger application. It's not lathering up enough and seems more sticky than slick.

Any thoughts on other products for the gym?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
You could face lather, that would remove the need of a bowl.

You could get a brushless shaving cream, removing the brush...

Here is my 2 pennies. As a life long goo and shower shaver when I first got here I heard of Bigelow/Proraso... Seems everyone loved it... Tube says brushless or... Yeah you can get it to go brushless in a finger lather but it takes a hell of a lot of water and a Circular Motion... Rub It!(sorry channeled some Zappa). Bigelow/Proraso is great with a brush!!! Try The Body Shop Maca Root in the tube, or The Real Shaving Co creams. TBS Maca smells to me like fresh laundry, not everyone likes it but it takes about a peanut size dollop and you can finger lather. TRSC takes the same amount but has a weird smell. Its Tea tree but... On my first lather and shave it smells like an older earth Avon type smell, 2nd lather smells like Tea Tree Oil. I don't mind tea tree oil so no prob. TRSC is made by Creightons who makes the 3 T's I believe. You can get the TBS Maca Root at most malls for about $10ish, The Real Shaving Co stuff is at some Rite Aids or online for like $6ish. Hope that helps!!

Jay

You want to get the best shaving experience you can so if you can't lather up you might want to think about getting the best gel or cream. I'm thinking of something you'll spread over your face and then shave, no mucking about with brushes, lathering etc. Maybe try some of the top end gels or creams; stuff like Clinique or Aramis Lab. When I was using carts I used Bioelements for Men range which I got from a local beauty spa or perhaps you could Anthony Logistics products here http://www.mancave.co.nz/products/shaving/soaps-and-creams/anthony-logistics-shaving - Mancave NZ is a fellow B&Ber

I've used the face wash and it's good.

Last edited:
Try The Body Shop Maca Root in the tube, or The Real Shaving Co creams. TBS Maca smells to me like fresh laundry, not everyone likes it but it takes about a peanut size dollop and you can finger lather. TRSC takes the same amount but has a weird smell. Its Tea tree but... On my first lather and shave it smells like an older earth Avon type smell, 2nd lather smells like Tea Tree Oil. I don't mind tea tree oil so no prob. TRSC is made by Creightons who makes the 3 T's I believe. You can get the TBS Maca Root at most malls for about $10ish, The Real Shaving Co stuff is at some Rite Aids or online for like $6ish. Hope that helps!!

Jay

Jay, thanks. Have you tried TRBS' gel or foam? Just curious, I went to the site and saw those as well.

Yeah, the Proraso soap works great with the brush at home. I'm just trying to save a bit of time and lug a little less to the gym. Thanks for the recos.

Isn't Kiss My Face cream advertised as brushless? If so, you might want to give it a try. According to lots of B&B'ers it works really well with a brush as well.

Orleansag,

I went to there web site recently and those are new products I haven't seen in stores. I buy the stuff that is listed as their classic range. I use the stuff labeled sensitive but some of the reviews say the Menthol has almost no smell but I haven't been able to find that one yet. Check a Rite Aid, thats where I get mine. Don't bother checking Rite Aids website it doesn't show up. Here is TRSC US website, the first one is the one I use.

http://www.realshavingshop.com/engi...assics?psf=2&ppn=2&prpp=5&ppc=3&psfo=A&pffv=0

Hope it helps!

Jay

Isn't Kiss My Face cream advertised as brushless? If so, you might want to give it a try. According to lots of B&B'ers it works really well with a brush as well.

+1. Kiss My Face is my "travel" cream. I keep a tube in my dopp kit and use without a brush. All you really need is a small amount, and then just rub it into your beard a bit to make lather. It won't look like the lather you whip up in a bowl with a brush, but it is very slick and plenty cushioning for a good shave.

***Heresy Alert***

So, I definitely appreciate the comments. Sounds like Kiss My Face might be a good option, along with just sucking it up and taking the brush/cream to the gym. But, since I had like 4 bottles of Gillette Advantage shave gel (from Costco, prior to my DE switch away from the Fusion)...I tried that at the gym with my Muhle.

It's the first time I tried that instead of Proraso soap or tube cream. And...while I prefer the brush/soap combo the best, I think the Gillette gel was better than hand applying the Proraso tube cream, at least from my one shave at the gym experience. Plus I have 4 cans of the stuff.

In this same regard, I was thinking of keeping my TuckAway at work for quick clean ups before meetings and such. Any ideas for cream or oil that would minimize damage to my shirt?

Despite common perception, ANY soap or cream can be used brushless. I usually leave my brush at home when I travel, and I often skip the brush at home if I'm in a hurry.

If you can't get a good lather with Proraso by hand, try adding more water. It was my one and only cream when I first got started, and I never had any trouble with finger-lathering. Like Musgo Real and a few others, it is a very thirsty cream, and works best with more water than you think you should give it.

Don't worry if the lather looks thin when you're done. The important thing is how it shaves ... and with some products, thin and watery lather works better than thick, rich foam.

if your shower shaving, you could just use a good bar of soap. what's 1 more compromise? or you could shave the previous night. take your time and get a 3 day shave.

Top Bottom