What's new

Keeping my razor shiny

I have used my EJ89L a few times and it is quickly losing its luster due to the film left from my Proraso shaving cream. When I shave I fill the sink with water and swish the razor around to clean it between passes. This is probably why the film accumulates, but is there anything I can do to keep it shiny?

I just wipe mine down after each use. When I change blades/razors I give it a more serious wipe down. This goes for my Merkur and old Gillettes.

When I replace the blade I will sometimes use an old toothbrush to scrub it down a bit with CLR, a calcium remover. Where I live we have fairly hard water and razors get dull looking pretty quick.

I had a really nice slim that got a little soap scummy; I was pretty bummed. Some scrubbing bubbles and that razor is now shiney shiney.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I have used my EJ89L a few times and it is quickly losing its luster due to the film left from my Proraso shaving cream. When I shave I fill the sink with water and swish the razor around to clean it between passes. This is probably why the film accumulates, but is there anything I can do to keep it shiny?

You can easily clean your DE razor using an old toothbrush, wet with water and liquid soap. Then dry it carefully with a soft towel. It will become super shiny, like brand new!:001_smile:wink2::thumbup1:

You can easily clean your DE razor using an old toothbrush, wet with water and liquid soap. Then dry it carefully with a soft towel. It will become super shiny, like brand new!:001_smile:wink2::thumbup1:

This is what I do almost every time I shave. I have found that Proraso seems to leave more of a film than my other soaps and creams.

This is what I do almost every time I shave. I have found that Proraso seems to leave more of a film than my other soaps and creams.

I just wipe it down when I'm done, and give it a brief though thorough cleaning when changing blades. And I too have noticed Proraso is worse about this than other creams I've used. But that's not enough to make me stop using it. :thumbup:

I have the same razor. A gentle wipe down after each shave is what I do. Be areful about wipin gth erazors edge though for both your saftey and to avoid dulling the blade. Each time you do a blade change, a warm wet towel will remove teh soap scum and that Rolls Royce Chrome will shine like new. If it doesn't, scrubbing bubbles will finish the job.

When I rotate my razors, I rub a toothbrush lightly over some soap, and clean and swill the razor, air dry it, and put it away all shinny.

I just rinse after every shave and when changing blades, give it a hot rinse and polish on the bathroom towel. If I had a TTO razor, it might get a little more love to get in all the nooks and crannies.

Swishing it around in some rubbing alcohol works too. I have the exact same problem as you, my R89 was getting gummed up with Proraso (yay hard water!:thumbdown) Just a quick swish in rubbing alcohol, and wipe it down, all the scum comes right off.

Top Bottom