What's new

Different Blade - What a Difference

As a newbie DE shaver - I am just getting into the whole wet shaving "thing". I got a decent brush ... a nice Merkeur HD (and a 1954 Gillette Super Speed - for roation purposes ... at least that's what I tell myself) ... and I read up on things on this site before kicking off.

I used the blades that came with the Merkur razor (Merkur blades). I was actually pretty satisfied with the safe. Fairly close - no irritation - no nicks.

Then ... as part of the rotation ... I switched to another blade that I got a great deal on and was fairly well reviewed ... Derby.

What a difference. Where I was feeling a tug shaving WTG with the Merkur - not so with the Derby. Similar smoothness across the grain and against the grain. All in all - a far superior shave. Plus a great

I'll use another Derby in the Super Speed come rotation time and see how that goes.

Tells me that I need to get a sampler pack and do even more experimentation.

Now the question becomes, was your shave better because you changed blades or because you know you changed blades...

At any rate, I'm glad to hear your shave is better. Keep switching around one variable at a time until you sort out what works best for you. Don't be afraid to come back to the Derbys and Merkurs later when your technique has improved.

Now the question becomes, was your shave better because you changed blades or because you know you changed blades...

Given my experience with Merkur and Derby... it's a safe bet he's spot on...

But recommending a sampler that has Super Iridium, Feather, and Astra SP is in order.

I experienced something similar, and was surprised myself:

I had a dorco blade in my progress and it was OK, I'm still pretty new to DE. Anyhow I sent my razor to Mer to be upgraded. During this time I used a couple of dorcos in an EJ head, generally irritation free but very mild.
I needed a blade change and I tried a derby, what a difference! Cut myself twice in two shaves, I guess I had begun adding pressure to compensate for the mildness of the EJ-dorco combination.

My technique needs work, I think I need to slow down, but al least now I appreciate the extent of the difference between blades. I'll wait a while before I test a feather.

Top Bottom