What's new

DE Shaving about 3 weeks now..

So I've been DE shaving for about 3 weeks now, and would love some feedback on my equipment and regimen. I've found mantic59's YouTube videos to be tremendously helpful, but would like to hear some different points of view. After spending a lot of time doing some research and saving up some extra cash, I spent about $140 on a variety of supplies, including the following: A Merkur 34c HD razor, an Omega badger brush, a sample pack of various blades, some Proraso shaving cream, some Kiss My Face shaving cream, Proraso Pre/Post shave cream, Thayer's alcohol-free rose petal witch hazel, and Taylor of Old Bond Street aftershave.

I tend to shave in the shower or bath, but will shave post-shower in the sink on occasion. I usually start out with the Proraso pre-shave cream, applying it to my face and hanging out with a warm moist towel over it for a few minutes. I typically soak my brush during this time. I'm just starting to get the hang of building my lather.. It takes me a little less time each time. I'm considering trying a shaving soap (as opposed to a cream). I've been going back and forth between the Proraso and Kiss My Face, both of which I like, but I'd say I tend to get somewhat better results with the Proraso. Any input here would be greatly appreciated.

My technique gets a little better every time I shave. I've been doing a three-pass shave, going with the grain, across it, and across it the other way. The against-the-grain pass seems to end poorly, and I'm more or less satisfied with the three-pass results, so I've been skipping it. The whole process still takes me a while and isn't really getting any faster, but the results are improving. I've gotten the most consistent results with the Red Personna Israeli blades, but today tried a Feather blade for the first time and found the results to be overwhelmingly good. I'm hoping those results will be duplicated over the next few days.

I love the Taylor of Old Bond Street (Eton College) aftershave I've been using, and am looking forward to purchasing other scents in the future. I've been applying the witch hazel post-shave prior to applying my aftershave, as I think I read somewhere that that's where it's supposed to go in the regimen. I know very little about with hazel or its properties, but I enjoy the fragrance and the cooling/soothing effect it has. Again, any input here (particularly regarding position in the regimen and what it's actually doing) would be greatly appreciated.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Good work so far!!

I would wait before switching to a soap, make sure you got your technique right before changing some variables. If you think that you are ready, then, that's fine. When you get a new shaving soap, regardless of the brand, try to make a few bowls of lather before the next shave. A shaving soap doesn't work the same way than a shaving cream...

For your AS, you can apply the Witch Hazel before/after/same time than the Aftershave. Some mix them.

Welcome sounds like you are off to a good start...as Luc stated try not to change too much at once...I know its tempting though.

You are off to a good start indeed. I love those Merkurs myself. I haven't tried half the other stuff you got though.

Mick

Sound like you are figuring it out well enough. Welcome to the B&B. As for the witch hazel, it intended as a toner or astringent but lacks moisturizing properties when compared to to other aftershaves.

Sounds like your on the right track. Love the Merkur HD every time I try a new blade the HD is my go to razor, it's my baseline for comparing blades.

I wouldn't worry about how fast you take to shave. Just take your time and enjoy it, plus speed could be hazerdous to your health.

Top Bottom