What's new

Ever ready 1914 vs. Gem 1912

Hi,
I have come across a complete set of Ever ready 1914. How would it compare to Gem 1912?(I already have 1912) Thanks.

The 1912 Damaskeene is my favorite razor, because I think the slightly rounded head shaves just a tick better than the flat heads. The 1914 Ever-Ready is my second favorite, by the teeniest, timiest of margins and it too has the rounded head. The 1914 is just a bit harder to load and unload the blade, other than that it would be tied for 1st with the Damaskeene.

The 1914 is much more aggressive imho. Still a nice razor to master though

I agree......and after getting used to the Gem 1912s I have had trouble going back to the 1914 ER......can't seem to find the right angle for the 1914, and then once I do, it feels much more aggressive than the Gem 1912s.

Oddly enough, the OCMM feels pretty natural to me, even though I am always aware that I need to really pay attention.........

I am a BIG fan of the 1914 Little Lather Catcher ER. An excellent razor. Hoosier is correct in that it is a little tricky to load - and I have screwed it up twice now, with messy results. (oops)

However, the 1914 has a great light touch and a wonderfully resonant sound when in action. A great razor IMHO.

I don't have any great shots - but here is a 1916 advert for the kit of the day.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Hope this could help . For me the 1914 ER is more agressive than the 1912, but still very easy to use. There is also more audible feedback than the GEM , if its possible.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
I found the 1914 ER to be a better shaver for me than the Gem 1912.

I also agree with HoosierTrooper in that the Damaskeen 1912 (with the rounded head) is a better shaver than the flat head 1912's.

Given a choice between the two, I'd choose my ER 1914 every time.

However, at the moment the ER Streamline is my go-to SE razor. :thumbup1:

Hope this could help . For me the 1914 ER is more agressive than the 1912, but still very easy to use. There is also more audible feedback than the GEM , if its possible.

Tordu, those are fabulous photos. So much appreciated. In my travels, I have not encountered a 1914 head and traded off my Damaskenes with the "streamliined" rounded head. Never knew there was a difference in those 1912s. Now, if it not too greedy :001_smile, it would be fantastic to see a side by side of the streamlined/rounded 1912 vs. the common 1912.

P.S. Major Burnz, thank you for posting this thread in the first place! Very interesting stuff.

I tried to get a couple shots showing them side by side, not sure if these really do here's the best I coud get. The rounded head of the Damaskeene doesn't show as well as I wanted but you can see it on the 1914 ER.
Left to right: 1914 ER, gold 1912 Gem identical to the one you used in your test, 1912 Gem Damaskeene.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Same three different angle.
proxy.php

Well the saying is true - you do indeed learn something every day!

I have not explored the difference bw a regular 1912 and a Damaskeene. In fact I hadn't really paid much attention to the damaskeene for whatever reason.

Thanx to HoosierTroopers photos, I realized I own a damaskeene that I have never even tried out!! I picked it up with a case off eBay for pretty cheap a couple of years ago - but when it came, the case was a little more beat up than I was hoping for (pretty crappy case condition really) so I sort of filed it away with 'stuff I shouldn't have bought'. Chalk it up to poor impulse control! :001_rolle

Today however, I recognized the razor as the same as the damaskeene in HT's pics - I had thought it was a regular 1912 so never even really took it out of the case!

Well - tomorrows shave - a Gem 1912 Damaskeene - woohoooo!!

thnx guys! thnx HT!! :thumbup1:

YMMV is a strange thing.:001_smile I find the Streamline to be a dog of a razor.:thumbdown The open comb Micromatic is a Weishi by comparison on the aggression chart.:blink:

YMMV is a strange thing.:001_smile I find the Streamline to be a dog of a razor.:thumbdown The open comb Micromatic is a Weishi by comparison on the aggression chart.:blink:

Yeah, I used to recommend razors to people all the time, only to have some of them get back to me and say they hated them, while others loved the shaves.

So now I usually tag on the 'for me' disclaimer when I sing the praises of any razor. I still want people to know about what I think are great razors, but I don't want them blaming me if the razor doesn't work for them.

If I had to choose just one SE razor to hold onto, it would be my ER Streamline. I'd hate getting rid of my Damaskeens and Lather Catchers, but I'd sacrifice them for the wonder of the Streamline shave. :biggrin1:

Very nice pics of the Streamline - well done!

I must agree with the earlier comment regarding YMMV. I was quite thrilled when I originally picked up a Streamline/Jewel. They are exceptionally well made razors when compared to the other's of the same period.

However, I too do not get a good shave with the Streamline. I can't really describe my difficulty with it. It isn't so much for me a difference in 'aggression', but rather in the feel and weight of the razor. I find it sort of like driving a large bulky 1970's cadillac. If you get a great vintage caddy, it looks great, shines up wonderful and has fabulous design characteristics. But try and park the darn thing! It doesn't do corners well, steers slowly and in general it is difficult to get around in. That is how I find the Streamline. I personally find it a bugger to drive. :bored:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
The 1914 is a great razor and gives a wonderful shave. It is the only Everready of all the SE's I own.

Top Bottom