What's new

Sharpening Pocket Knives

Recently I've become fascinated with folding knives, and I've been looking for a way to keep them sharp. I'm currently leaning toward a Spyderco Sharpmaker, but I'm concerned about how it may handle an unusually shaped blade, such as a Kershaw Scallion. Does anyone have any experience sharpening a blade of this shape? If so, what method did you use?

I have the Spyderco Sharpmaker and I have used it for all kinds of knives and many different types of steel. I have a lot of other stones for sharpening but if you asked me for just one in general I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Spyderco.

yea with a recurve i'd go with a sharpmaker. if it was a normal blade i'd go with a set of diamond hones. (what i use) and for recurves i just use a peice of sandpaper either rolled up to the diamater of recurve or pasted onto a old TP roll or PT roll.

for dimond hones i sugest DMT their kinda expensive but are by far one of the best and most durable dimond hones.

also make yourself a strop if you dont have one thats pasted already. if its good for a str8 its good for any blade.

I've actually got a coticule and a couple of pasted strops already. However, my attempts to hone straights and my old Swiss army knife on the coticule have been spectacularly unsuccessful.

I've actually got a coticule and a couple of pasted strops already. However, my attempts to hone straights and my old Swiss army knife on the coticule have been spectacularly unsuccessful.

Have you been to coticule.be? If not look under Sharpening Academy. Try the Unicot method. I still can't get a usuable shave from a set of Nortons but when i use the Unicot method i can shave off of it everytime.

I just bit the bullet and ordered the Edge Pro Apex set...and it was the best thing I have done for myself. I have about 50 knives that get used over the term of the year...and some just give me hell trying to keep an edge...let alone get an edge on them. The set I got is the Chosera Stone set from Chef Knives to Go. (I will tear up some knives during deer season)
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/chefknivestogo_2122_552619
Done a great job on my Zero Tolerance...and has made sharpening all my knives much easier. I have come to terms that some are just better at sharpening than others.:blush:
proxy.php

After going through and trying all different kinds of fancy inventions and gizmos and gadgets to sharpen my knives, I have wound up using a good set of Arkansas stones ( medium = gray, fine = white, extra fine = black )and mineral oil. After that, a leather Barber's strop puts the final edge on my knives. Once you get the hang of holding the correct angle, these Arkansas stones are the best! It does take a bit of practice, but any of you guys that hold a straight razor against your throats without slicing it up should be very capable of mastering the technique, and once you do there is no going back! What you do have to do is understand that there are different angles to use on different types of knives. IE: Good quality Kitchen knives I usually put a 19 - 20 degree edge on. Pocket knives get a 23 degree edge, and shop knives that tend to get abused, I put a stronger and more durable edge of 25 degrees on. The higher the angle, the more durable but less razor sharp it will be.

I am a fanatic about having a sharp knife, and my Arkansas Stones get used each & every week for one knife or another. I haven't gotten around to resharpening my D/E blades yet. :lol:

Regards,
D/E Bob

I can't comment on what knife sharpener to purchase because I have been sharpening my own knives for years now and I have taken a little different approach on holding edges on my knives. I look at a prevenative side rather than a sharpening one. For instance, I have many pocket knives. Whenever I use one I just give it a few strokes on the old diamond steel to bring back the edge and I am good to go. I can say I don't use my for prying tools and try to take good care of them so that I don't need to sharpen them on a stone. It works for me and thought I would pass on that info. Good luck.

There are a lot of systems you can purchase from Lansky to spyderco and all those in between. There are stones of all sizes, ceramics and diamonds. There is sandpaper on granite blocks and leather strops with grinding/polishing compounds. But all this is unimportant.

What is important is your understanding of how to sharpen, the difference in steels, grinds, and angles. Once you figure that out you can use a concret block and a piece of cardboard to sharpen a knife enough to shave arm hairs with. Its not difficult to figure out. Reading on some forums and watching some youtube video's will get you all the info you need. Beyond that its just experience.

Just like this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG2QqhCTqT8&playnext=1&videos=CeEKVEfMuAY&feature=mfu_in_order

Ok, I couldn't hold out. Putting together a juicy Amazon purchase I added a Lansky sharpening kit. Hopefully it does the job OK for my assorted Spydercos, SAK's, Case, and CRKT's.

I have a Lansky system I use and really like. It works well with my Kershaw (They really are awesome knives) and have used it on my CRKT.

Top Bottom