What's new

Eclipse twins

Well, almost twins -- if they can be called fraternal. The leather case is something I had not seen before with an Eclipse. And one of them doesn't have the Eclipse logo on the head.

But great shavers and what a cool design with that magnet on the bottom. No hard to pick up razors when using these British made classics. And they use basic DE blades.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Anyone have any other variations of the Eclipse? And what year were these guys made?

Made between 1931 and 1940. The one in the leather case is an older Model W. The one in the bakelite case is a Model BB. The one without the magnet logo on the head cap is the oldest. That's about all I can offer you other than some of these were silver plated while the others were chromium plated.

And you know these are also adjustable? That's what the arrow at the bottom of the handle, and the lines on the screw knob, are for. Line the arrow up with the lines.

Oh and do NOT put these in an ultra sonic cleaner. You'll lose the red rings. The paint will come right off.

Last edited:
I have two: one for the den, one for the road. For me, they beat out all vintage Gillettes. Mild, forgiving shavers - simply ideal for a "medium" beard.

I have the black bakelite case with square sun/moon logo (that's no magnet, GentsI - it's an Art Deco eclipse!). The red ring is long gone on both of mine.

Every serious DE afficionado needs a Red Ring.

And you know these are also adjustable? That's what the arrow at the bottom of the handle, and the lines on the screw knob, are for. Line the arrow up with the lines.

It's as adjustable as any other 2 or 3 piece razor if you are willing to unscrew it to loosen the cap. An arrow and lines on the TTO knob does not make it an adjustable.

BTW nice pieces.

It's as adjustable as any other 2 or 3 piece razor if you are willing to unscrew it to loosen the cap. An arrow and lines on the TTO knob does not make it an adjustable.

BTW nice pieces.

Yes, obviously, I'm fully aware of that. But most 3-piece razors didn't tout their adjustable aspects in advertising like Eclipse did, nor did they put any kind of markings on the the razors to let you know you could adjust it this way.

Red Rings are not aggresive at all. Very similar to the Gillette ("tastes like chicken") Tech.

Perfect foils for the Feather blade.

It's not aggressive in the classic sense with large blade gap and protruding edge but those very fine teeth and head profile make it a very very different shaver to a Tech IMHO. It's a very efficient shaver, read into that what you will.

Hi Guys,

I have one in a metal case too (The Deluxe) - as well as the Art Deco Bakelite flip case - BB and the leather travel case - W. As for further information, this is all I have so far:

In the 1938 range there were five models offered:
The Model W in Leather Case - the one you have - price 3 Shillings and 6 Pence - included 1 blade
The Model MM in Bakelite case - the one you have - price 2 shillings and 6 pence - included 1 blade
The Model BB in Mahogany coloured bakelite flip top case - price 4 shillings and 6 pence - included 3 blades
The Model HH in Ivory and Black bakelite flip top case - price 6 shillings and 6 pence - included 5 blades
The Deluxe in chromium plated case - price 10 shillings and 6 pence - included 10 blades

All razors were identical so the buyer was paying quite a lot extra for certain cases and a few more blades!

The Eclipse Red Rings were made by James Neill and Co. Sheffield, England from around 1932 to 1940. Eclipse brand is still used for hacksaw blades etc but manufactured by another company.

Earlier ones, as mentioned didn't have the Eclipse Logo on the head.

Adverts refer to the adjustment as 'Micrometer Adjustment Feature'

Later models did not have the Red Ring painted on the turning knob - so yours may not have worn off.

Eclipse branded blades were also offered

Hope this helps

Hi Onotoman,

You seem to have the most knowledge of the Eclipse razor line. Would you be willing to start a Wiki thread based upon it? I know I for one would appreciate it, and the collective knowledge on the B & B Board could become an historical reference point for it.

Paul

Excellent information here. Thanks.

And I have been shaving with these refined razors lately and can report in that
  • The shave is fairly mild
  • The weight of the razor is relatively light, so the shave is deceptively effective for its weight
  • It provides a much different shave than a Tech -- requiring a bit more dexterity for a close shave
  • The shave is not so comfortable once you start dialing it up for more blade exposure.

At least that's my experience so far. But even without dialing it up -- the default exposure provides a very close and comfortable shave.

Hi Paul,

Sure, no problem. I'll get to it.

Best Wishes

Dave

Hi Onotoman,

You seem to have the most knowledge of the Eclipse razor line. Would you be willing to start a Wiki thread based upon it? I know I for one would appreciate it, and the collective knowledge on the B & B Board could become an historical reference point for it.

Paul

Top Bottom