What's new

Traveling with a DE and blades.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I spend a lot of time traveling for work. I know TSA does not allow DE blades in a carry-on. :cursing: My biggest question is how about the razor? Does anyone carry their razor in a carry-on? I have heard horror stories the TSA will hound you to death looking through all of your stuff trying to find those hidden blades. I am only a week into DE shaving but already do not want to go back to a cartridge tomorrow when I fly. :thumbdown

I am sure this question has been raised before. If anyone has a direct leak to a thread that would help as well.

Thx

I know that getting by with just your carry on bag is convenient to save time when traveling, but its only a few min. more to get your checked bag. By putting your shave gear in checked baggage, you'll know that you'll always have it available. At least for me its worth the extra few minutes. :thumbup1:

I know that getting by with just your carry on bag is convenient to save time when traveling, but its only a few min. more to get your checked bag. By putting your shave gear in checked baggage, you'll know that you'll always have it available. At least for me its worth the extra few minutes. :thumbup1:

Good point. And it comes to mind that either collecting mailed blades or buying blades after you get there takes up the same amount of time or more.

$30 to check a bag.

...its only a few min. more to get your checked bag. By putting your shave gear in checked baggage, you'll know that you'll always have it available... :thumbup1:

Wow, I'd sure like to know what airports you're going through and what airlines you're flying. :laugh:

-Greg

If I am only using a carry on, I use my usual kit (less scuttle) and pack one of my trac II handles and use cartridges for a few days. This works very satisfactorily for me and I don't think that I give up too much.

Enjoy your shaves,

Doug

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I spend a lot of time traveling for work. I know TSA does not allow DE blades in a carry-on. :cursing: My biggest question is how about the razor? Does anyone carry their razor in a carry-on? I have heard horror stories the TSA will hound you to death looking through all of your stuff trying to find those hidden blades. I am only a week into DE shaving but already do not want to go back to a cartridge tomorrow when I fly. :thumbdown

I am sure this question has been raised before. If anyone has a direct leak to a thread that would help as well.

Thx

Anyone ever had a problem with just the razor? Do they really search for the blades if they find the razor?

If I have to check baggage then I pack blades, if going carryon only then I try to get blades on the other side of the trip but I always have an atra with me for my head so thats the backup plan. With that being said do to the inherent incompetence of the TSA and the selective enforcement of screening guidelines if a trip is within 8 hours drive time I choose to drive. When I factor in the 1.5 hour trip to the airport the 2.5 hour mandatory checking early and all of the other hassles it's a wash.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
$30 to check a bag.

You missed an operative sentence the OP made;

I spend a lot of time traveling for work.

Travel for work means reimbursement of travel expenses.
If work makes you travel you can claim baggage fees on your expense report.
If it is self employment related and you don't have a travel expense account, there are ways to write it off as work related expenses.
See your accountant.

Anyone ever had a problem with just the razor? Do they really search for the blades if they find the razor?

Last weekend I traveled with my DE in my carry-on Dop-kit for the first time, I had it un-screwed, the handle in one pocket, and the head in another. It didn't seem to me that the TSA folks batted an eye. No problem at all.

It's possible they saw the razor, and then paused it under the x-ray to make sure there were no blades in there, but I have to assume that with all the luggage they look through they're pretty familiar with what a disassembled DE looks like vs. what a razor blade looks like.

If I have to check baggage then I pack blades, if going carryon only then I try to get blades on the other side of the trip but I always have an atra with me for my head so thats the backup plan. With that being said do to the inherent incompetence of the TSA and the selective enforcement of screening guidelines if a trip is within 8 hours drive time I choose to drive. When I factor in the 1.5 hour trip to the airport the 2.5 hour mandatory checking early and all of the other hassles it's a wash.

what he said.

My only issue with B&B's quite good info on flying with classic razors is that it assumes consistency and competence on the part of TSA, and these are not what I'd consider their strong points.

I'd be watchful if you check a bag and are carrying a high valued razor. Theft has been known to happen. I never check a bag, saves me money and keeps my bag from going through endurance testing.

Top Bottom