What's new

Straight Shaver Interview - Ru4scuba?

Fella's, here is installment 1 of what i hope to be many of a B&B interview designed for the straight razor crowd.

Part of the way we learn is by learning from others. No one learned to shave with a straight razor by themselves and this particular section of B&B can be a tad more involved than other sections. There can be quite a bit of paralysis learning the in/outs of shaving/obtaining/maintaining straight razors.

Chris (Ru4scuba?) just jumped in as a new straights Steward; and of course is more than available if you have specific questions regarding his particular journey.

Chris, thanks for answering these few Q's!!

Who are you?

My name is Chris, I'm an Active Duty Military Air Force type (12 years).

Where are you located?
Washington DC.

How do you take your coffee?
Just cream or black...depends on my mood and the amount of sleep I've had :tongue_sm

What happened that made you seek a better shave, or if the chicken came before the egg, how did you find B&B?
My wife went into a jewelry store in a DC area mall...instead of following I told her I'd be across the way in an AoS store. After going in, inquiring about the products and methods, I came home to do some online research...the rest is history.

What was it that held your interest?
I'm a guy into old fashioned things...something truly manly struck me about using a brush, soap and DE or str8 (especially str8s...but I quickly learned I wasn't ready for this step...not enough time in my days unfortunately). I love history...and the history behind objects. I once walked in Rome and commented to the wife...just think...Julius Caesar could have walked on these stones!

If i remember from your posts, you started with DE's before switching to straights; What did you start with?
I started with an old 40s SS sold to me by our own Asylum Guido. I was hooked and immediately began the AD train we all follow like lemmings.

Shave Cream & Soaps? what did you find that worked well from those initial trials?

Initially I tried creams. Did fine...but soaps appealed because back in the day, creams were not as readily available and when they were...more of a luxury. What worked well was practice...practice...practice. Took forever to get what I consider a good lather. Then I tried MWF thanks to some nut who decided to have a month-long soap journey :lol:

Where did you get your first straight razor? was it shave ready?

I got my first from a B&B member in a trade. It was not shave ready by (what are now) my standards but may have been shave ready in his standards. I quickly learned that one man's edge may not be anothers. It was also my first blade...so I didn't really know what "shave ready" was...and my technique was horrible so how can any Newb really know? I sent it off to be honed, got two other razors in while I was waiting...learned on those and by the time it came back, it was my best shaver. Was it the technique? Was it the edge? Probably a little of both.

Determination is key with shaving with a straight, how did you push through the Month + of sub par shaves? did you know there was a light at the end of the tunnel?
I came to the conclusion its ok to touch up with your DE. At first it was a lot of touch up...then it became less and less. In fact, this is the gist of a post I intend to hopefully get stickied. It will be addressed to military str8-wannabes and anybody else that cant suffer crappy shaves due to work. I do NOT believe you have to put down the DEs to become efficient with str8s...I just dont. I think a gradual progression away from one (DEs) to the other (str8s) works just fine.

Now my favorite question... if you were stranded on a desert island and could only choose:
3 razors:
2 brushes:
3 soaps:
2 creams:
& 3 colognes:

Thats too many...as of late, I've become less enamored with having a massive collection. I've run the ADs for two years and have a healthy stock. While I find I'm occassionally perusing the stores...I haven't bought anything since the Eagle Group Buy.

I could get by with:
Dovo Bismark and VB Red Latigo Strop
Gillette #21 Aristocrat + lifetime supply of IRPs
AoS lemon SS
Proraso Splash Aftershave
Penhaligon's BB Edt

If I sold all my kit tomorrow, I would keep these in the rotation forever.

Are you currently reading a book? or perhaps even better; what book will you be reading next?

Currently reading a book about Congress. After that, its "The looming Tower..a story of Al Qaeda" that won the Pulitzer in 2007.

Favorite Movie or two?
Thats tougher...
Patton
and....and...and...I dunno...too many I like.

With what fictional/historical character do you most identify?
Never really thought about it...I am a student of history (have a Masters in mil history) but I have never really identified with any one individual...we all have our strengths and weaknesses...so I'm a student of them all.

Do you have any motto's, sayings, or quotes to live by?

Its always darkest before the dawn.

What has been the best advice you've gotten from a member at B&B?
MWF is not that bad...:lol:

If you could give one piece of advice to someone new at this, what would it be?

Stick with it!!! Anything worth doing right takes time and effort...if you want to get decent shaves in a hurry...stick with your electric or cart. If you want to get superlative shaves...take your time and learn the ways of the masters...

Last edited:
Its great to hear from experianced straight users!

I dont know if I'd use the word experienced...especially not compared to some of these greybeards like Prof Chaos, Slice O life and Richmondesi...but I did get BBS this morning using my Henckles :blushing:

...I haven't bought anything since the Eagle Group Buy.

Wasn't this a couple weeks ago?

Nice interview. Real nice idea. A cool read. Sort of like the "thousand words" to go with the SOTD pics.

I dont know if I'd use the word experienced...especially not compared to some of these greybeards like Prof Chaos, Slice O life and Richmondesi...but I did get BBS this morning using my Henckles :blushing:

Graybeard? Is that an insult?

Oh, and check the join dates. Your more of a gray anything than me. I've just got a big mouth.

Last edited:
Determination is key with shaving with a straight, how did you push through the Month + of sub par shaves? did you know there was a light at the end of the tunnel?
I came to the conclusion its ok to touch up with your DE. At first it was a lot of touch up...then it became less and less. In fact, this is the gist of a post I intend to hopefully get stickied. It will be addressed to military str8-wannabes and anybody else that cant suffer crappy shaves due to work. I do NOT believe you have to put down the DEs to become efficient with str8s...I just dont. I think a gradual progression away from one (DEs) to the other (str8s) works just fine.

Chris,

This part of the interview has me thinking about using straights again on a daily basis. I tried it earlier in the year but gave up after three months. I think I only achieved BBS twice in that that span. I was getting consistant DFS towards the end, but I'm the kind of guy who says "what's the point in shaving if you're not going to go for BBS every time"?

Where is this post you speak of? I need some inspiration!

Chris,

This part of the interview has me thinking about using straights again on a daily basis. I tried it earlier in the year but gave up after three months. I think I only achieved BBS twice in that that span. I was getting consistant DFS towards the end, but I'm the kind of guy who says "what's the point in shaving if you're not going to go for BBS every time"?

Where is this post you speak of? I need some inspiration!

:clap::clap::clap:

Top Bottom