What's new

if there is anything that has vastly improved my shaves it is the badger hair brush..

do any of you agree with me? or would you say it's prep and technique or creams or something else? i can have crappy prep without hot water, use cream from a can, and use a disposable 3 blade razor 1 pass and have a great shave... as long as i apply the cream via a brush.

also it should be noted that i'm not that hairy although for an asian i am but still far from hairless.

My shaves certainly improved after I started using a brush, and my first was a synthetic. Badger and boar brushes certainly make it easier to get a better lather than cheap synthetics, but they are probably not a must have for a great shave. Good prep is about 80% of the battle when it comes to having a good, comfortable shave.

Totally agree with you. The prep is the most important bit and a half decent brush and cream/soap makes all the difference. Even using a Gillette multi bladed face rasp you get a much better, more comfortable shave.

Add the DE and what could be better? OK, a straight maybe!

I agree, also. I first started with a brush and Col. Conk soap while still using a Mach 3 and it really improved my shaves. Of course, I quickly transitioned to a DE after that and have been doing the full, Brush-soap/cream-DE for more than a year now. And will never go back.

I agree completely. I used a brush and a decent cream with a cartridge razor for a long while before switching to a DE. That was my single biggest improvement in shave quality. To this day, my worst shaves are on those days that I rush my shave prep. My favorite blade in my best razor isn't enough to compensate for a rushed prep.

my prep would just consist of heating water, pouring it unto a bowl, dipping the brush, and applying the hot water on my face.

then i pour the water unto the sink. i still use the hot water to rinse razors after a few passes. then i make my lather when i'm using kmf or at least whip it a little from the can when i'm using barbasol. it usually comes out hot because off the hot water previously in the bowl.

then i apply the lather and make 1 pass wtg. sometimes another atg. that's it.

am i doing anything wrong or is it as long as it works for you kinda thing?

Last edited:
I use a good a good synthetic brush...the brush has made a difference, but I think the biggest difference for me is the prep...since I face lather the brush is part of my prep.

I agree. The brush helps create a good lather and preps the skin very well. That sounds strange to write because it seems second nature now but a while back, only two items were involved in my shave: canned goo and a cartridge razor/blade. I am in a better place now.:biggrin1:

The difference for me has been to toss out the canned goop! I went to shave soap and a brush. I still do the prep same as always have.... wash face, then splash hot water (as hot as I can stand it) on my face then apply the lather (worked up in advance) and use a cartridge or disposable razor. Although I have been using a DE of late.

I'm a proponet of whatever works for you is good!!

I think technique is the main component of a good shave experience. You can have the best tools in the world but if you don't know how to use them they are useless. So learning how to use your brush, how to make up a good lather, how to wield your razor, etc...

in college i just used soap and a mach 3 and shaved like once or twice a week. i'm thinking i can just lather some yardley and carry on with my routine and still get a great shave.

i didn't mean badger brushes solely btw. they're just the ones i have experience with and didn't notice the distinction when i made the thread. i guess a synthetic one would be fine as well.

Top Bottom