What's new

How are you against the grain...of shave geek opinion?

Everybody seems to love it but you.

You might not normally post about it because it makes you feel...different.

My qualification for the Herbie the Dentist Elf club -

Seems everybody loves Clubman After Shave Lotion..."that classic barbershop scent" always gets a standing ovation when it comes up in the forum.

I just don't get it. I had to buy some based on the acclaim and all I got out of it was some guy with a handlebar mustache and a boater wearing Brut.

Any other odd man outs out there?

Aqua Velva. To me, it smells like the guy who lives in a van down by the river, and always has free candy.

It smells of torn up tickets at a horse race.

It smells of toupee glue, piano-key neckties, and obscene mustaches. It smells of gas station video poker, prominent oral herpes, and ambulance chaser lawyers.

I'm not head-over-heels for Old Spice either. I use the Vi Jon clone sometimes before work, but I think the choice more lies in a desire to make the bottle empty than any conviction as to it's scent.

I think you're ambivalent about the Aqua Velva... :lol: What a great description!

That's a good one. Aqua Velva is another product that seems well liked here, and I'm one who likes it.

It's somehow easier for me to like something lots of people seem to have issues with (Williams soap, Lilac Vegetal) than to dislike something that seems to be a favorite of almost everyone. I still have the sneaking suspicion that I just don't "get" Clubman.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Apparently Brut is part of the old men club... I must be one...

I don't collect razors or brushes. There, I said it! I have a couple of each, but I didn't really go out of my way to get them. I got one brush as a present, bought a travel brush and made the other. I bought one razor--the rest were either in the family already or ones I received from other members, including the esteemed OP.

I don't collect razors or brushes. There, I said it!

proxy.php

You know, I'd report you to the Pod Police, but I have a feeling you've more than made up for it in colognes and aftershaves...:biggrin1:

Well, yeah. I've seen Tabac described here as virtually the sine qua non of shaving soaps. I have about 60 percent remaining in my jar and am still trying to figure out what it is that everybody raves about.

Well, yeah. I've seen Tabac described here as virtually the sine qua non of shaving soaps. I have about 60 percent remaining in my jar and am still trying to figure out what it is that everybody raves about.

That qualifies. In fact, I'll be mildly surprised if a Tabacanista can resist the urge to subject you to a good, old fashioned round of high intensity Tabac proselytizing.

Last edited:
I'm of the opinion that vintage Gillette razors don't shave as well as most people say they do. They can shave fine but nothing enamoring about them for me.

Good thread.

Tabac - it's ok. Great for beginners to try out as it lathers easily. But for me, there is a lot better out there for performance and scent. I've used my bowl+puck about 25 times.

Menthol. I hate it. If I want to cool my face down, I know where the freezer is.

This has been on my mind for awhile now. Happy for the opportunity to get it off my chest. Proraso / C.O. Bigelow cream. It is cheap. It performs great. It is highly recommended to newbs often for a beginner cream. When I first bought it, it outperformed the Williams and VDH pucks, the only soaps I had experienced, by miles. I ran out and got more at Bath & Body Works sales. I ordered in large quantities from online vendors. I shared it with my friends and family.

But, c'mon....it's Vicks Vaporub in a metal tube! Now that I have sampled and purchased a handful...OK, 2 handfuls...of soaps and creams, I rarely reach for the Proraso. I wonder if I've done more harm than good in presenting it to friends and family as a first cream when I know there are more pleasant smelling soaps and creams out there which perform as well or better. I am now in damage control mode, sending sample packs of Truefitt and Hill and George F. Trumper's products across the country.

I've said it. Need I fear for the safety of my family?

Last edited:
This has been on my mind for awhile now. Happy for the opportunity to get it off my chest. Proraso / C.O. Bigelow cream. It is cheap. It performs great. It is highly recommended to newbs often for a beginner cream. When I first bought it, it outperformed the Williams and VDH pucks, the only soaps I had experienced, by miles. I ran out and got more at Bath & Body Works sales. I ordered in large quantities from online vendors. I shared it with my friends and family.

But, c'mon....it's Vicks Vaporub in a metal tube! Now that I have sampled and purchased a handful...OK, 2 handfuls...of soaps and creams, I rarely reach for the Proraso. I wonder if I've done more harm than good in presenting it to friends and family as a first cream when I know there are more pleasant smelling soaps and creams out there which perform as well or better. I am now in damage control mode, sending sample packs of Truefitt and Hill and George F. Trumper's products across the country.

I've said it. Need I fear for the safety of my family?
+1.

I actually threw what was left of my tube of C.O. Bigelow in the bin. It sat in my den and never got used. Every product I had I preferred to it, so I got rid of it.

Post shave treatments in general. I really doubt that most people need witch hazel, or alum, or balms, or splashes. I've gone with and without aftershaves, and my face feels fine either way.

Proraso is a very good lathering product and performs very well but I don't like the heavy menthol on my face. I've had a tub of the soap for about 6 months and the only reason I use it is to make it gone (I guess I'm cheap). I have a fairly good selection of soaps/creams and I like some of them more than others but I just can't "warm up" to Proraso (pun intended).

Top Bottom